2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog lamp connections 2001 ram 2500

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 09:18 AM
1Bigbobber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lamp connections 2001 ram 2500

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 that I have owned for one year, truck came with a custom front bumper, I would like to add the factory fog lamps into the bumper as they were either removed or it did not come with them from the factory. The headlight switch has two controls, one for the head lights the other for the parking lights. There is a two pin connector on the bottom of the core support that is constant hot, I was under the impression this would have been the connector for the fog lights however it is not controlled by the headlamp switch, cannot find any other open connectors that would appear to be for the fog lamps.
Checking to see what I might be getting into to get the fog lamps to turn on before I go to the effort of purchasing the lamps, modifying the bumper and attempting install. Cannot tell from a vin decoder if this truck originally came with fog lamps, it says "Halogen Lamps" but not fog lamps.
Any help and visuals would be helpful, really appreciate it.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Grab the service manual for your truck from here. Check out the wiring diagrams for the fogs. Do you have the rotary headlight switch? Or the pull type? Fogs on that year I think you pulled the rotary switch to turn the fogs on. (and I think the switch provided ground path....)

Old 11-17-2019, 10:19 AM
1Bigbobber

Thanks, manual is helpful, my headlamp switch does not have a pull out function, only have two settings, am not sure I want to get into replacing the switch and was hoping for a easy solution. Any other suggestions would help, somewhat of a lamen when it comes to interpeting diagrams, simply thought it would be plug and play....

Old 11-17-2019, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Headlight switch really isn't that bad to change, just gotta be careful with the plastic parts. Quite likely most of the harness for the fogs is already in place, with connectors just tucked away somewhere.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:42 AM
1Bigbobber

Really appreciate your help, I ordered a new switch that has the fog light function (pull out), am struggling with finding a harness with a dealership, many options on eBay but am not 100% sure the part will be correct. Here is a picture of my firewall where there is an open connector, I have no idea if this is for a connection to the fog lamps, I am missing a relay in the fuse box, my local dealership is of no help with finding this relay.
Do you know whether or not the connector in this image might be for the fog lamps?
Lots of other wires leading toward the radiator area but am not seeing anything that might resemble a connector for the fog lights.
Thx

Old 11-19-2019, 09:10 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Check from the manual that do those wire colors march with the fog lamp circuit, but I think it does not.
That relay should be available on any parts store, it's not anything dealer specific.

Quick Reply: Fog lamp connections 2001 ram 2500