2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

won't turn over, ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 07:22 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default won't turn over, ignition switch?

soo... 1995 dodge ram 4wd, 5.9 auto trans. truck won't turn over with the key, ignition switch feels "loose" and turns through much of it's rotational range without much resistance. Fuel pressure is a little low, but if I jumper the starter relay in the power distribution box under the hood, it'll turn over and stat right up. There's no power coming in to energize the coil (left side pin yellow / red wire connects underneath), but there is power for the starter on the other pin. (I jumper front and rear pons 87 and 30 I think? and the truck wil start). The way I read the wiring diagram there/s nothing else between there and and the ignition switch. I've pulled the power distribution box, checked for corrosion inside, cleaned contacts there as well as all major plugs that are related, looked for any broken wires under the dash, etc...

Is there anything else that it might be? I went ahead and ordered an ignition switch... but thought I'd double check and see what others thought... Thanks!

Old 12-16-2019, 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

The ignition switch is a good bet, but, the ground wire for the starter relay also goes thru the neutral safety switch down on the trans.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:12 PM
wca_tim
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The ignition switch is a good bet, but, the ground wire for the starter relay also goes thru the neutral safety switch down on the trans.
Thanks for the help!

I checked a couple more things... if it were on the ground side of the starter relay, I should still have hot on the relay socket that comes from the ignition switch (when I turn the switch to the start position). It stays dead as a doornail... I also checked have continuity from the ground side of the relay to chassis ground in the engine compartment.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:31 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 372 Likes on 350 Posts

switch feels "loose" and turns through much of it's rotational range without much resistance.
Does this mean there is no resistance when cranking also? If so the end of the lock cylinder has been known to break off and not allow it to turn the ignition switch.

This is for a jeep but dodge is made the same way.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:08 PM
wca_tim
Professional

that was it... as well as a dead contact point in the switch... anyhow ,all better now. Thanks for the input guys!

Quick Reply: won't turn over, ignition switch?