2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Park/e brake cable ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:00 AM
quinq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park/e brake cable ??

Looking for some ideas to replace the return spring / cable retainer on the park brake cable, located in the brake drum. New cables don’t come with return spring. This is on a 97 2500ram. Dealer says that the spring is nla...and I’m I’m not having much luck with salvage yards . Any ideas and or somewhere I might find them???
Thanks quinq

Old 12-18-2019, 03:22 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

These springs appear to be the redheaded stepchild of the parts catalogs. They are not listed in the 98 factory parts manual, and in the 2001 manual they are merely a line item under the rear drum brakes but do not appear in the diagram. In any case they are no longer available as you found out, so aside from junkyards where it can be a lot of pain to remove one I'd look into finding a similar spring and making it work. You can find sub-$10 parking brake cables for 80s vehicles from the other two truck manufacturers that have a spring on them.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:51 AM
quinq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply, do the other cable assemblies have the retainer incorporated with the spring? Do you recall what model/ style I should be looking for? Thanks again

Old 12-18-2019, 11:53 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 586 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by quinq
Thanks for the quick reply, do the other cable assemblies have the retainer incorporated with the spring? Do you recall what model/ style I should be looking for? Thanks again
Check the after market and see if they are included in a rear brake hardware kit. You may have to custom make some out of hold down springs in a drum assembly.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Check the after market and see if they are included in a rear brake hardware kit. You may have to custom make some out of hold down springs in a drum assembly.
I have never seen them in a hardware kit..... No idea if they are available separately. Maybe in the "help" section?

Old 12-19-2019, 02:23 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by quinq
If retainer means the contraption at the top of the spring in the pic linked below then no, I don't think any other cable assembly is gonna have that. That's where the 'make it work' part comes in, it might require some ingenuity to piece something together. Sorry I can't give any specific recommendations, I merely wrote how I would try to solve the problem but my truck didn't need it yet.

https://mopar1973man.com/storage/att...1857_thumb.jpg

Quick Reply: Park/e brake cable ??