2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy, ideas, and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 12:01 AM
dandaw1721
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, ideas, and questions

Hello, I just joined the forum, posted a message in the new member area, and have found my way to the gen 2 hangout. I just purchased a 2001 360 ram 1500 and am already looking in the performance direction. I have jumped around on the forum a bit and have heard rave reviews of the fastman TB. Here is a list of what I would like to accomplish in the next few months.

1. It has stock exaust with a 3 inch out. The pipes look good and I want to keep the low end so I am thinking about just going with a Dynomax muffler. Havent seen much about them on the site, looks like most prefer magnaflow.

2. That Fastman TB sounds like the key to midrange so I will have to try that out.

3. It already has a drop in K & N but I would like to go with the whole FIPK kit.

4. Just bought new plugs and wires but an thinking about returning the plugs. I was talked into the Plat2's by Bosch but after reading about them a lot of people don't really like them. I just went with 7mm wires for the cost.

5. I also want to get a Tonneau cover because I like how they look and I heard they can really add on to your mpg's by reducing air friction.

Well, any comments or ideas are welcome. Look forward to learning a lot on this site and maybe after some time I will have pleanty to share

Good drivin, Dan

Old 12-18-2005, 02:00 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New guy, ideas, and questions

first off..lemme welcome you to DF!!!!!!! this forum is the nuts..and we try to help out everyone...

is your rig a 4X or 2X?

nice job on scoring a nice ram... first thing to do is go through all the fluids..change them yourself or get them chagned so you got a good starting point so you know what has been done scince you owned it...

i assume you made good use of the search option from the forum..if not... its good to always look there first before posting a new question b/c 9 outa 10 times you can get your answers from searches from past threads and you can also learn a BUTTLOAD of info about your ram from using the search options... its aboce near the profile link

first thing in mods id suggest and many will back me as an aux tranny cooler if you dont have one already.... and possibly a new tranny pan that will allow up to 2 more qt's and help the life of the tranny..especially if you do any wheelin... search aux tranny cooler and you can find info and links to score some and how tos to install

the TB is a hella cool mod... i dont have mine yet but others have them and swear by them... some claim helps with mpg... but mainly helps BIG time in throttle response and smooths out idle...

id suggest the FIPKII kit from k&n.. i got it and love it!!!! i could tell by the ***-dyno and i love the performace....i

if your gonna do plugs and wires... start with msd 8 or 8.5 mm wires... hella nice for major spark and leave you the option to upgrade to the digital ign. system... msd 6A box and the super killer coil.. blasterSS coil i think and youll already have the wires to support the up in voltage

plugs..i run champion truck plugs..cool lookin black and gold ones... help big time in the spark knock/ping issues our motors have... gapped to about 40thous and your off and banging

exhaust... a 3in is ok.. but if you wanna go duals..stick to dual 2 1/4 outs... itll help maintain your lowend and thats where your mpg is.. speaking of exhaust.. look into some headers too..kinda pricey but WAY worth it..especially with the CAI......i got the edelbrock ceramic coated shorties on my 4X4 and i love them..and i havnt had 1 problem with gaskets at all .. used the edelbrock gaskets... using a crows fooot and my tq wrench helped in making sure i could get ALL the bolts that are hard to get to tq'ed correctly... i got the highflow cat too and i like it... its hard to find the direct fit (comes with the down pipes and crosspipe) for our years.. (i got an 01 too) i put on for a 99 on mine and it fit fine... and no probs with the 02's either...flowmaster delta 40 series sounds NASTY nice...

tonue cover is pretty much the only thing thatll help the mpg as far as body mods... the myth of tailgate down thing (IMO) is a load

hope this helps... and have fun with modding... others agree when i say this... modding our rams becomes addictive... im currently in the works for a Mopar Modding Adict Hotline .. tollfree number when you find yourself in the time when you just CANT put the wrench down... have fun and welcome

Old 12-18-2005, 02:24 AM
dandaw1721

Hey, Thanks for all the info. Its great to get such a response. The truck I got is a 4x4, and I have started going through the fluids, but its just too cold outside here in Colorado to get a lot done! (toooo much junk in the garage). The tranny cooler is a good idea that I haven't thought of. The truck does have a bunch of miles on it (95000) so i don't know how much money I want to put into it with the headers and all. On the other hand i am loving the truck so much that I am certain I will buy another one in the future and maybe the mods will be transferable depending on what I am looking at. Thanks for the suggestions on the search feature I will have to try that out. This is my first forum so I am still feeling my way around. I hope to get a few pics on here too in the next few weeks. I can see how this will get addictive but I have to maintain some control, got a wedding coming up next fall!!

Thanks again

Old 12-18-2005, 02:33 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

your very welcome..i understand... western ny is a cold blooded bitch too... winter time is my off time for modding..usually building models or building my guns... (dont ask.. im a man of hobbys) the topsecret rockcrawler project is on hold too.. b/c when im cold... im cranky..and cranky isnt fun!!!! dont dispare on the mileage...magnums are known for there strength and reliability when proper maintence is performed... hell steve has 120some odd thou on his..and he his motor is kicking *** and taking names..ofcourse he's shacked up in nice cali where he gets 2 seasons... HOT and WARM... if you had a 2X id say look for some long tubes..i guess longtubes STILL havnt come out for our 4X's is it a sport? offroad? detials man!!!!!!!!! pics would be cool to!!!!! lift that pig and throw some 40's on that som-mu-bitch!!!!! take care!

Old 12-18-2005, 03:39 AM
dandaw1721

Well thats good to hear about the durability of these trucks, you can really feel the magnums and its great. I have owned a jeep cherokee and a ford bronco and this is like apples to oranges. The truck is a SLT Laramie and is all stock, dark blue, bedliner, quad cab. I would love to lift it a bit but I don't know about the 40s, too much for the gas. I mainly will use it to haul up the Rocky's for camping and fishing. I can't wait to see how it pulls up those mountains, my bronco was terrible. happy drivin . .

Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Welcome! Here's a link to a post I did about my tranny cooler install, in case u want to install one.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_286895/mpag.../tm.htm#286895
Check and make sure your truck does not already have one...I believe the factory tow package unit is between the radiator and the condenser. I have a fastman TB, didn't help in the mileage dept., but made a definite increase in throttle response. Also, putting one on gives you the excuse to clean the sensors attached to the old one. TB is $225 if you mention this forum to Dan the Fastman when u order. I have had lots of tranny trouble with mine, but I have a buddy with 125k on his '01 2WD and he hasn't had a problem. Guess it's the luck of the draw. Changing the gear lube to synthetic is a good idea also. We all have problems with our trucks, but that's why we're on this forum......99% of the answers can be obtained on here. Keep in mind, however, not all of these people (myself included) are experts about every subject, so don't just jump on the first answer put out there. Usually u can determine who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Also - go to the "merry Christmas" post on here and download the "present" U will find it very helpful!

Old 12-18-2005, 03:37 PM
dandaw1721

thanks for the info and the clue in on the present. It will be awesome to have that around, and what a perfect time to get it before I get into any big projects.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:08 PM
zeekxxx
Captain

Welcome to the forum.

I had the same questions about a year ago when I got my first ram.

Check out the link below. I did most of the mods you mentioned and posted them up on my site.

Lots of pictures for the new guys

http://www.ronbarthelt.com/ram1a.html

Quick Reply: New guy, ideas, and questions