2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 dodge ram 1500 02 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 12:51 PM
08dgeguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dodge ram 1500 02 sensor

Been having trouble with 02 sensor rough idle after 02 heats up and having a sucking noise when it starts bogging down. Cant even stop at a red light without holding gas pedal to keep my rpms over a grand to keep it from doing the craziness. I put new 02 sensor in maybe like 3 new ones kept thinking I was getting bad ones lol someone please help.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Hero6
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What brand sensor have you been getting? I believe the group here usually recommends NTK or Denso. What year truck?

I had a similar issue with my 98. Idled fine for a while, then made sucking sound and wanted to stall. Replaced the upstream o2 sensor with an NTK and has been fine since.

May need to check the wiring to the sensor and make sure you don't have any issues there.

Also, I would recommend you clean the throttle body and take a look at you IAC ( Idle Air Control Valve), could be carboned up or just be bad and need replaced. I believe there is a write-up in the How-To section on cleaning the throttle body and in particular the IAC.
When was you last tune-up? Plugs, Wires, Rotor, Cap? How many miles on motor?
I am sure someone else will chime in soon with other ideas.

Last edited by Hero6; 01-17-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:19 PM
08dgeguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 98 with 222,000 miles. Ya I done the whole clean throttle body and replace the 02 with NTK 02 and did the whole tune up spark plugs,new rotor and cap and still the same thing. It would run fine as long as the check engine light was on but had to disconnect my batt.for somthing and when I plugged the batt.back up and the c/e light went off it started acting crazy again bogging down running rich and right before trying to die would make the sucking noise but now even if the c/e light is on it still runs rich and has a strange smell coming out of exhaust and still all the other symptoms I mentioned before. Cant even stop at a red light with out it doing all this craziness. Thinking about saling it but love my old dodge just gonna break me trying to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:55 PM
blambram
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Dude" you have been reading my mail,I have the exact same problem but mine is a 94 5.9 .It started out as a sucking sound ,replaced the IAC and it seemed to help a little then as you described ,cleared the code installed a NTK o2 and it idled fine for about 10 mins took for a drive and it started to backfire ,spit ,sputter truck was like being at "GILLEYS " riding the bull , shaking then when I got back stalled , and water started coming from the exhaust. hoping its just a blown head gasket but I have yet to under take that task and I'm not sure if I want to .........

Old 01-17-2020, 04:41 PM
Hero6
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08dgeguy
Its a 98 with 222,000 miles. Ya I done the whole clean throttle body and replace the 02 with NTK 02 and did the whole tune up spark plugs,new rotor and cap and still the same thing. It would run fine as long as the check engine light was on but had to disconnect my batt.for somthing and when I plugged the batt.back up and the c/e light went off it started acting crazy again bogging down running rich and right before trying to die would make the sucking noise but now even if the c/e light is on it still runs rich and has a strange smell coming out of exhaust and still all the other symptoms I mentioned before. Cant even stop at a red light with out it doing all this craziness. Thinking about saling it but love my old dodge just gonna break me trying to figure this out. Thanks in advance.
sounds like you may need to hook up a scanner that can read live data and see what you o2 readings are. Autozone scanner may do that. I am sure someone else will tell you to look at fuel trim data as well but I am not sure off hand what readings are good or bad.

Quick Reply: 98 dodge ram 1500 02 sensor