2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interior restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 AM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interior restoration?

I am currently restoring my 1996 Dodge RAM 2500 Club Cab interior, and was wondering if I have to remove the bench seat in order to do so? Because if so, I’m out of luck because for some reason, the bench seat refuses to “lift up” as if it’s stuck I pull on the levers, and nothing. Is there any way to unstick it? Secondly, my seatbelt is twisted from the retractor (behind the “B” pillar) making retraction difficult. How does the B pillar remove? (Passenger side) I’ve unscrewed the screws, but it’s like it’s glued! (It’s not) I’ve attached a picture of the “B” pillar for reference;

thank you!

Old 01-17-2020, 12:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Liddlez
I am currently restoring my 1996 Dodge RAM 2500 Club Cab interior, and was wondering if I have to remove the bench seat in order to do so? Because if so, I’m out of luck because for some reason, the bench seat refuses to “lift up” as if it’s stuck I pull on the levers, and nothing. Is there any way to unstick it? Secondly, my seatbelt is twisted from the retractor (behind the “B” pillar) making retraction difficult. How does the B pillar remove? (Passenger side) I’ve unscrewed the screws, but it’s like it’s glued! (It’s not) I’ve attached a picture of the “B” pillar for reference;

thank you!
Rear seat has to come out before it will come out

Old 01-17-2020, 01:45 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Rear seat has to come out before it will come out
I’m sorry, I just realized that I forgot to insert the main purpose of removing the bench seat which was to remove the carpet.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Rear seat has latches that the lever is supposed to release. You can try pushing DOWN on the seat, pulling the lever, and lifting up. If that doesn't work, you are likely going to have to contort yourself around, peak under the seat, and see if you can release them manually.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Rear seat has latches that the lever is supposed to release. You can try pushing DOWN on the seat, pulling the lever, and lifting up. If that doesn't work, you are likely going to have to contort yourself around, peak under the seat, and see if you can release them manually.
I haven’t tried pushing down, but how could I unlatch them manually?

Old 01-17-2020, 04:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Liddlez
I haven’t tried pushing down, but how could I unlatch them manually?
I can't answer that don't know how they work, did you try both sides?

Old 01-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I can't answer that don't know how they work, did you try both sides?
I sure did. Both on their own, and simultaneously. Nothing.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:14 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Pry that plastic cover over the hinge outwards, you should be able to see the latch lever. Bend a hook from, I don't know, coat hanger maybe, and pull the lever forward. I took couple of pictures, not the best but you'll see how they work. Be carefull with them plastic covers so you don't break them.

Locked position:

Open position:

Old 01-17-2020, 05:49 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Took couple of pictures more from drivers side. Manage to break the plastic cover mounting as can be seen in lower left corner. Also realized that drivers side latch or hinge is bent because it doesn't go under the notch. But the way the latch is built, HeyYou is correct that pushing down should help, if all the cables are intact:

Open position:

Old 01-17-2020, 06:00 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Oh yeah, and the twisted seat belt. If I understood correctly your problem, you don't need to take anything off. Just pull the twisted section through the upper guide that's bolted to the b-pilar.

Quick Reply: Interior restoration?