2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 1500 4x4 lost brake pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 02:33 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CubbyBlue1500
Other than getting under the truck and climbing, somehow, to the top of the fuel tank, how do I check the rear line? Forgive my ignorance. I've never done this before(replaced rear brake lines).
Use flashlight, and look inside the framerail from front and rear of the fuel tank, you should see almost the whole line. Other than that, only way to be sure is to drop the tank.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I don't know what hydro boost is.
It uses power steering fluid instead of vacuum to apply the brakes. The diesels use them. I upgraded and it's amazing. It's kind of pricey though but worth it if you want better brakes. I would check the rear line and cylinders (although you didn't lose any fluid). If those check good, it's more than likely your master cylinder

The following users liked this post:
99CubbyBlue1500 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:58 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Sounds a lot like a failed master cylinder.
Not uncommon for the master cylinder seal to go, dumping fluid into the booster, so you don’t actually see a leak, but go through fluid in the reservoir.

Brake fluid will ultimately ruin the the booster diaphragm.
If get to it in reasonable time and wipe it all out, you can save the booster.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:16 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I don't think the abs/brake lights would come on if it was the master cylinder. I have two rams and blew out the same line twice on one and once on the other. Both did exactly what you described. The fluid in the mc will travel between the front and back until it gets to a certain level. Then it will drop when it leaks out. Try holding pressure on the pedal and see if it drops. If so have a look at the frame(inside) next to the tank. It shouldn't be hard to find if that's your issue.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spillage
Not uncommon for the master cylinder seal to go, dumping fluid into the booster, so you don’t actually see a leak, but go through fluid in the reservoir.

Brake fluid will ultimately ruin the the booster diaphragm.
If get to it in reasonable time and wipe it all out, you can save the booster.
Do I have to remove the booster in order to wipe it out?

Old 01-24-2020, 09:39 AM
99CubbyBlue1500
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moparite
I don't think the abs/brake lights would come on if it was the master cylinder. I have two rams and blew out the same line twice on one and once on the other. Both did exactly what you described. The fluid in the mc will travel between the front and back until it gets to a certain level. Then it will drop when it leaks out. Try holding pressure on the pedal and see if it drops. If so have a look at the frame(inside) next to the tank. It shouldn't be hard to find if that's your issue.
If the line is my issue, is it a big job to change? Sounds like I'd probably have to drop the fuel tank, no?

Old 01-24-2020, 12:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

If the line is my issue, is it a big job to change? Sounds like I'd probably have to drop the fuel tank, no?
You could fish it behind the tank

The following users liked this post:
99CubbyBlue1500 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

When mine broke, I just bought a long length of line, stuffed it down the frame rail behind the tank, hooked up the forward end of the line, then bent the rear part around to where I needed it, and hooked it up. It ain't fun, but, it works.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:25 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

My first break was near the front of the tank and the second was in the back. Both times i did the repair with out dropping the tank but really depends on where your break is. Another issue i found was at the local auto parts store the universal lines they sell the rear oem fitting (into the hose) is longer than what's on the universal tubes. The short ones won't seat so you need the long one. Then you have to see if they sell one separate or use the oem one. Another option if you plan on keeping your truck is get 304 stainless lines from ss tubes I have a full set just haven't gotten around to putting them on.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:44 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
My first break was near the front of the tank and the second was in the back. Both times i did the repair with out dropping the tank but really depends on where your break is. Another issue i found was at the local auto parts store the universal lines they sell the rear oem fitting (into the hose) is longer than what's on the universal tubes. The short ones won't seat so you need the long one. Then you have to see if they sell one separate or use the oem one. Another option if you plan on keeping your truck is get 304 stainless lines from ss tubes I have a full set just haven't gotten around to putting them on.
I used SS Tubes, love them

Quick Reply: 99 1500 4x4 lost brake pressure