2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering whine

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 08:17 PM
TriPawd
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering whine

I replaced my power steering pump but it still continues to have a whine. I had the front end in the air and did the bleed process by turning the steering wheel back and forth but still the whine. So I put the front end up in the air again and had someone else turn the wheel. With the cap off of the power steering reservoir the power steering fluid bubbles up and over the reservoir and continues to do this. The bubbles are large and it doesn't seem to want to stop. I have cycled the steering wheel left to right at least 30 times. What's the problem?

Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Still have air in the system. Maybe an air leak somewhere??? (although, the only suction is inside the reservoir itself......)

So, jack up the front, and check the fluid. Fluid needs to be clear, with no air bubbles. (if there are any, leave it, come back in 30 minutes, check again.) Once the fluid is good, make sure level is correct in the reservoir, turn the ignition one click forward, so the steering is unlocked, but, the ignition isn't actually on. Crank the steering wheel lock to lock, 3 or 4 times. Check the fluid. Any air in it? Leave it for 30 minutes. Once all the air is worked out with this method, use the same process with the engine running. May have to do it several times before the fluid remains clear, and bubble free when you check it. Once that is done, that's as good as it's going to get. If it still whines, its likely just a poor quality rebuild. (I went thru three 'new' pumps before I got one that actually worked, and even that one still whines a bit.)

Old 01-24-2020, 10:29 PM
TriPawd
Amateur

Ok just so we are on the same page. With the truck in the air and not running. If I turn the steering wheel lock to lock, the power steering fluid will spill up and out of the reservoir, almost everytime I turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Doesn't matter if the cap is on the reservoir or not. And i turned it lock to lock at least 30-40 times. It actually pushed a lot of the power steering fluid out of the reservoir.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPawd
Ok just so we are on the same page. With the truck in the air and not running. If I turn the steering wheel lock to lock, the power steering fluid will spill up and out of the reservoir, almost everytime I turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Doesn't matter if the cap is on the reservoir or not. And i turned it lock to lock at least 30-40 times. It actually pushed a lot of the power steering fluid out of the reservoir.
Sounds like air on the system still

Old 01-24-2020, 10:52 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you need the engine running to get air out of the system. if you turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the truck off you just force fluid out of the steering box and it usually will cause the reservoir to overflow. as long as there is fluid in the reservoir and steering works when it is on the ground i wouldn't worry about it. it is likely fine. you hear older fords all the time with wining power steering pumps. i use to be able to hear the power steering pump on my dad ford before i could hear his truck.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:51 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Be sure to use regular power steering fluid and not atf. These systems don't use atf like other brands. Mine whined terribly per Redheads recommendations. Went back to ps fluid and much quieter. I've also dealt with the bad bleeding air situation. I get hard steer then light steer depending on the day. Everything's been replaced once if not twice. I'm kinda just over it at 262k.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:50 PM
ddtmoto

...ludegard power steering additive is really good stuff.

Quick Reply: Power steering whine