2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water pump Spanner wrench, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 04:19 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

We understand completely but it seems you do not. You can remove the fan with a crescent wrench and hammer if the belt is on. If it won't budge, go buy the correct spanner wrench at any oreillys auto parts store.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:23 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinK
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post, I'm looking for what SPANNER TOOL with pin spacing of 4 1/4", not the large (36mm) wrench for the clutch fan nut.
I had no difficulty getting the (36mm) nut loose, again noting the original water pump pulley was BOLT on. Most of the replacement water pumps have PRESS on pulleys (and holes for a spanner wrench) that's why
I'm looking for what spanner wrench people may have used to hold the pulley while replacing the clutch fan.

Also noting, I've seen many references to use the Lisle 44180 spanner tool, but it has pin spacings of 2 1/2" and 3"............ but the hole spacing on the pump pulley is 4 1/4" (center to center).

If I don't find the proper spanner tool, then I'll go ahead and use a strap wrench (or belt in place to hold) but I'm holding out hopes I'll find one. Yes, there are spanner tools out there that are 'adjustable', but that comes back to my question, if someone has used one, I'd be interested to know of one that did work.

Thanks again,

Kevin

You really don't need a spanner wrench. Once the fan is loose, you can hold it with your fingers. I vaguely remember once when it just wouldn't come loose so I put a couple of 1/4-20 bolts in the holes to hold it and then a long screw driver to hold it. Once it was loose, it spun right off.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Putting the fan back on, just thread it on, once you have the belt on, get it finger tight, then use your wrench to tighten it some more, and finally, rap it with a hammer a couple times, so it won't come loose. Engine rotation spins the fan such that it is trying to thread it on tighter. You don't have to worry about stabbing the throttle, and having the fan let go..... (that would indeed suck.)

Quick Reply: Water pump Spanner wrench, which one?