2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS & Brake lights in dash are on

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 10:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Look under the hood. If you have the motor/controller, it's 4wal, if you just have the dump valve, its Rwal. Can also check and see if you have wheel speed sensor wires in front. They are required for 4wal.
Never seen a 4wal 2nd gen thought my parts truck was, as it looked like it had the motor but just rwal :b

Old 02-16-2020, 10:01 AM
Pepsiboy
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Parts store scanner won't show any codes as you can't read ABS codes on these trucks unless it's high end (a Snap-On couldn't even read the codes). Don't need ABS so it's not like it needs fixed right now. But what you can do is ground pin #13 in the OBDll connector (a wire will do) and count how many times the ABS light flashes.
MopaarFanatic21,

Well, I finally got around to checking things out. I do have RWAL. When trying to ground pin #13, I find that there is no connection on pin #13. I called dealer and they want $100, up front, just to plug in and get codes. With VERY LIMITED FIXED INCOME, that is way off the page. I guess I'll try disconnecting the sensor on the diff and see what happens from there. If i have to, I can probably afford a new sensor, and go from there. Worst case, I'll leave it like it is and live with it.

Thanks to all that have given suggestions.

Dave

Old 02-16-2020, 10:19 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Pepsiboy
MopaarFanatic21,

Well, I finally got around to checking things out. I do have RWAL. When trying to ground pin #13, I find that there is no connection on pin #13. I called dealer and they want $100, up front, just to plug in and get codes. With VERY LIMITED FIXED INCOME, that is way off the page. I guess I'll try d isconnecting the sensor on the diff and see what happens from there. If i have to, I can probably afford a new sensor, and go from there. Worst case, I'll leave it like it is and live with it.

Thanks to all that have given suggestions.

Dave
Pin 13 in the OBDll connector has to be there. V that's the wire the scanner uses to check brake codes

Old 02-20-2020, 01:50 PM
Pepsiboy
Amateur

Pin 13 in the OBDll connector has to be there. V that's the wire the scanner uses to check brake codes
MoparFanatic21,

OK, slap me up side of the head and call me a dumb A**. i counted from the wrong side for pin #13. With the key on and the ABS light lit, there were no codes. The light did not flash. I used the key on, off, on, off, on to try to get codes that way. All I got to display was "P done". no codes that way either. I guess I'm just going to have to try to afford to take it to dealer for the $100 plug in and see what they say.

Thanks, again, for all the tips and advice.

Dae

Old 02-20-2020, 02:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

MoparFanatic21,

OK, slap me up side of the head and call me a dumb A**. i counted from the wrong side for pin #13. With the key on and the ABS light lit, there were no codes. The light did not flash. I used the key on, off, on, off, on to try to get codes that way. All I got to display was "P done". no codes that way either. I guess I'm just going to have to try to afford to take it to dealer for the $100 plug in and see what they say.

Thanks, again, for all the tips and advice.

Dae
The key trick only works for the check engine light. Has to flash if there are codes. You sure you used a good enough ground for the wire?

Old 02-22-2020, 08:30 AM
Pepsiboy
Amateur

The key trick only works for the check engine light. Has to flash if there are codes. You sure you used a good enough ground for the wire?
Moparfanatic21,

Not trying to be a smart A**, but yes, it was a good ground to the battery negative post. The ABS light did not flash a code. I called the local "Stealer" yesterday and they want $100 up front to plug in and check it out. Also, they said that the first opening would be next week Friday afternoon. I finally got to talk to their brake guy (supposedly) and he said it sounded like there was air in the system and it would need to be bled. Asked service desk and they said Brake bleed would be about $300, as it would take about hours. My wallet is already screaming and I haven't even touched it yet. I guess it will have to sit until I can afford to put into shop.

Thanks to all for the advice and tips.

Dave

Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

According to what it says in the service manual(1996), you have to have key in ON position, then momentarily ground pin 13. When the ground is removed the abs/brake warning light will begin to flash. Not sure if anything changed since then but could be 1 threw 15 different codes.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Moparfanatic21,

Not trying to be a smart A**, but yes, it was a good ground to the battery negative post. The ABS light did not flash a code. I called the local "Stealer" yesterday and they want $100 up front to plug in and check it out. Also, they said that the first opening would be next week Friday afternoon. I finally got to talk to their brake guy (supposedly) and he said it sounded like there was air in the system and it would need to be bled. Asked service desk and they said Brake bleed would be about $300, as it would take about hours. My wallet is already screaming and I haven't even touched it yet. I guess it will have to sit until I can afford to put into shop.

Thanks to all for the advice and tips.

Dave
Hey man I don't think you are being a smart *** lol. That just should have worked. You could try rebleeding the brakes. You also know that you don't need ABS to drive the truck? ABS be on these trucks (especially RWAL) was useless on a good day.
​​​​​​

Old 02-22-2020, 02:46 PM
Pepsiboy
Amateur

Originally Posted by Moparite
According to what it says in the service manual(1996), you have to have key in ON position, then momentarily ground pin 13. When the ground is removed the abs/brake warning light will begin to flash. Not sure if anything changed since then but could be 1 threw 15 different codes.
Moparite,

That is EXACTLY what i did. No codes came up.

Dave

Old 02-22-2020, 03:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Moparite,

That is EXACTLY what i did. No codes came up.

Dave
I know when I do it I attach the wire to ground an then jam in it pin #13 sometimes it takes a few tries. When it does ground the light will dim for a second. I remove it and it flashes.

Quick Reply: ABS & Brake lights in dash are on