2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 04:41 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual swap?

Hi all, I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9. I’ve had in the last year or so a ton of trouble with auto trans. I just rebuilt one for the first time and put it in, but I still don’t trust them anymore. I was wondering if anyone has swapped a manual trans into these trucks. And if so, EXACTLY what would I need, and how would I do it. I can mechanically put things together, but I don’t know which parts I will need to do this swap and exactly how to do it. I just know I want to go ahead and buy the things I need before this trans craps the bed and I’m stuck with no way to fix it. All inputs appreciated!

Old 03-11-2020, 05:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Several folks have done it. There are a bunch of threads on just that topic drifting around here. Essentially, you need the trans, pedals, clutch master/slave. need to cut a hole in the floor of the truck for the shifter as well. Its a fair bit of work, and it's getting to be fun to find the right parts, but, most certainly doable. But, if you have the trans working properly now...... not like you are in a hurry to get it done. If you really wanna make the change, start collecting parts. It's not a weekend project though......

Old 03-11-2020, 05:17 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Several folks have done it. There are a bunch of threads on just that topic drifting around here. Essentially, you need the trans, pedals, clutch master/slave. need to cut a hole in the floor of the truck for the shifter as well. Its a fair bit of work, and it's getting to be fun to find the right parts, but, most certainly doable. But, if you have the trans working properly now...... not like you are in a hurry to get it done. If you really wanna make the change, start collecting parts. It's not a weekend project though......
yes see I have read a bunch of threads but they all seem to get off topic and no one seems to have a direct answer they all disagree and say a bunch of gobbledegook. So, in essence I need the trans (of course) and the pedals, and the master and slave cylinder whilst cutting a whole in the floor. Do I need a different flywheel? Different transfer case? Different driveshafts? Will the transmission mount also hold a manual? I’ve heard you need to do some flashing or some crap? I’ve also heard you need to file stuff down? I’m just not exactly sure where these people are finding their info.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheldon Fuller
yes see I have read a bunch of threads but they all seem to get off topic and no one seems to have a direct answer they all disagree and say a bunch of gobbledegook. So, in essence I need the trans (of course) and the pedals, and the master and slave cylinder whilst cutting a whole in the floor. Do I need a different flywheel? Different transfer case? Different driveshafts? Will the transmission mount also hold a manual? I’ve heard you need to do some flashing or some crap? I’ve also heard you need to file stuff down? I’m just not exactly sure where these people are finding their info.
You need the following:
NV4500 for a gasser ($1500) if you get one from a diesel will need to change the input shaft
Pedals
Slave cylinder, lines, and reservoir
Maybe new driveshafts (unsure)
360 Pressure plate
A flash for manual trans if you don't want dash lights on (if they are on that will most likely fail state inspections)
Everything else will work.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You need the following:
NV4500 for a gasser ($1500) if you get one from a diesel will need to change the input shaft
Pedals
Slave cylinder, lines, and reservoir
Maybe new driveshafts (unsure)
360 Pressure plate
A flash for manual trans if you don't want dash lights on (if they are on that will most likely fail state inspections)
Everything else will work.
ok I don’t care about the dash lights, will reverse lights still work? And what do you mean by the input shaft? The shaft on the trans?

Old 03-11-2020, 07:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

ok I don’t care about the dash lights, will reverse lights still work? And what do you mean by the input shaft? The shaft on the trans?
I do believe you need a new sensor for the reverse lights, and I forgot a manual crank sensor (Mopar only). Lights will make the truck fail inspections so just be warned. Yes the input shaft on the transmission if is from a Cummins.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:34 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I do believe you need a new sensor for the reverse lights, and I forgot a manual crank sensor (Mopar only). Lights will make the truck fail inspections so just be warned. Yes the input shaft on the transmission if is from a Cummins.
well heck I can’t even find an nv4500 trans near me, I might be screwed

Old 03-11-2020, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, they are becoming somewhat fun to find. You will need the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing for the manual trans, for the correct engine. You will also need a new crank position sensor, they are different between manual, and auto. You will need to do a bit of re-wiring for the reverse lights. Switch is in a different spot on the manual. (and I believe it's a two-wire..... so, new connector for it as well.) There are a LOT of little details..... You *should* be able to re-use your old driveshafts..... I don't think there is that much difference in length between the auto, and manual. (wouldn't hurt to measure it though.)

Old 03-11-2020, 09:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

well heck I can’t even find an nv4500 trans near me, I might be screwed
$3,500 to buy it new

Old 03-12-2020, 07:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator