2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New member brake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 02:08 PM
Jessehendrixp1
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New member brake question

Hey all new member here I just got a 98 ram 1500 4x4 with 5.2 in ive wanted one since I was able to drive and finally got kind of a fixer upper to work on. So I began my rehab of the truck with the front brakes I got new rotors and pads because it was a hellofa shimmy when i appied the brakes. I started with driver side got the bolts out but no sliders came out ( I didnt realise this truck had sliders)... I cleaned everything installed the new parts and put grease on the bolts thinking they were what "slid" so then i went to the pass side and everything went about the same however the sliders came out with the bolts on that one then I realised I may have a prob with the driver side so I lubed up the sliders and bolt reinstalled new parts bolted wheels up etc....... I went for a drive and it seemed to brake just fine no pulling either way and what not... I guess what my question is... Is, do I need to take the driver side back apart to try and free the sliders or is it ok the way it is? I do plan on doing a complete front end rebuild tie rods ball joints and wheel bearings after I get it painted in a few weeks and i will probably just replace the calipers then but could the caliper becpme frozen and unsafe to drive? What ard your opinions?

Old 03-22-2020, 03:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

The sliders need to be able to move. Or, the caliper needs to be able to move on them, depending on how you look at it. Otherwise, your brakes aren't working as well as they should be, you will end up with uneven wear, and it will start pulling again. Pull it back apart, get the sliders out, (sometimes a challenge.....) lube everything up good, and be happy.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:09 PM
Jessehendrixp1
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks friend I figured as much I guess i just didnt want to admit it lol

Old 03-22-2020, 09:46 PM
ddtmoto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be better off to get new calipers. They sure made a difference on my 98...

Quick Reply: New member brake question