2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:11 AM
thowell7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission issues

I’m having a problem with my 01 Dodge Ram 1500. It has a 5.9 magnum, a 46RE transmission, and the differentials are 4.10 gear ratio. I parked the truck three years ago after the transmission went out after 113,000 miles. I had the 46RE rebuilt 2 years ago and I just finally put it in a few months ago. I told the guy who rebuilt the transmission I was running 37 inch tires and I wanted the transmission to be able to handle the extra load of the oversized tires. I know he mentioned doubling the clutches on first and second. He described the transmission would be built as if it were going to be behind a Cummins. I installed the transmission and it seems very laggy on take off. I have to push the throttle half to three quarters of the way to get it to move out of its own way. If I manually shift it in first and stomp on it it seems to accelerate much better. If I have it in drive it acts like it doesn’t want to kick down. I’ve checked to make sure the atf fluid is at the correct level and I’m at a loss at what to check next. Before I had the transmission rebuilt the truck seemed much snappier on take off. Could it be that’s how it’s supposed to feel now after I had it rebuilt it or do I have something else going on that I might be over looking? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:04 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Did the guy who rebuild the transmission go thru the valve body assy? Or maybe the clutch packs are too tight. Have you also check your kick down cable as well.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:18 AM
thowell7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He did go through the valve body and swapped one out of another transmission due to moisture collecting in the valve body from where the transmission sat for some time before I had taken it to him. I haven’t tried the TV cable yet. If I remember right it only needs adjusting from throttle body side so I’ll def look in to that. As for the clutches I don’t see anything from the fluid suggesting the clutches are burning up or anything. There was a tiny amount of metal in the pan but I would think that would be normal since it’s a new rebuild. Could solenoids possibly cause any issues similar to what I’m experiencing?

Old 04-28-2020, 01:37 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I may want to know about the valve body and the band adjustments Or may take it back to person the overhaul the transmission. .

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission issues