2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram - brake bleeding blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 AM
mtfallsmikey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram - brake bleeding blues

96 Ram 1500, 5.9, rear antilocks. Early last week, I brought the truck to work, while on the parking lot the brakes went out, blew a line coming from the modulator to the LF wheel at the joint with the flex line, also blew a line at the splitter block on the rear axle going to the LR wheel. Replaced the busted lines/fittings, new wheel cylinder on RR wheel, got the back brakes bled ok, had some issues with the front, especially the LF, brakes worked, spongy pedal, pulling to the right, air bubbling in the MC. Could I have a caliper that is stuck, haven't pulled the wheel yet? I'm using the HF air bleeder, went over them 4 times, in the proper order. the MC did go dry when the brakes went out, 70 mile rollback ride, it's old, researched old threads, it's pointing to a bad MC, picking one up today, will make sure to bench bleed. Am I going down the right path?

Old 05-01-2020, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Jack up the front, try and spin the wheels. Step on the brakes HARD once, then try again. See if they still turn the same.

Spongy is air in the lines. With RWAL, bleeding is pretty straightforward. Sometimes I takes a bit to get all the air out though.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram - brake bleeding blues