2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Camshaft question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 11:38 AM
Blayd
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on what your trying to get.
Hughes has cams that are basically better then stock and will run without a tune, but they also have cams for much more....its always better to tune if you can for upgrades, especially for higher octane.
Which cam did they suggest?
I've spoken with Tim at Hughes alot. Alot of how close you can get to what you want depends on the parts your running, or not running.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:34 PM
Justin Hoffert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blayd
It depends on what your trying to get.
Hughes has cams that are basically better then stock and will run without a tune, but they also have cams for much more....its always better to tune if you can for upgrades, especially for higher octane.
Which cam did they suggest?
I've spoken with Tim at Hughes alot. Alot of how close you can get to what you want depends on the parts your running, or not running.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...1&partid=34500
So this is the one that Tim recommended to work great with the Air Gap, but I'm still debating. I like this kit because it really takes care of the guesswork, but I again want the best bang. If I'm already getting it dynoed and tuned then might as well make it worth it.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:07 AM
Justin Hoffert
Default Finally

So after weeks of trying to find someone who can get me the info needed I got ahold of IMM Engines out in California. We are going to do a custom spec camshaft and spring package that will do exactly what I want it to do. Once I get all the info I'll gladly let y'all know what we went with. During our conversation, I found out much of the needed info that I was lacking to help get me to the point I want to be at. This will be a fun project to complete and see if I can meet my necessary goals.

Let's show some of those Hemi guys what a proper Magnum can do lol.

Edit: Also ordering a set of heads to complete the package, but my goal is to first do the cam, show a few of my customers and friends what that'll do, then do the heads and repeat the process. My whole goal for this build will be to make as much as I can safely, but also to show some people in my small little area what each part can do. End goal is to earn some more customers and to get them interested in doing more. My philosophy is, unless you can show them first hand what you can do then no one will ever take you serious.

Last edited by Justin Hoffert; 05-20-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Watch out for the EQ heads if go with them. Read about the issues with them in the video. I'd go with a set of indy X instead.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:06 PM
AlleyCrawler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Hoffert
So after weeks of trying to find someone who can get me the info needed I got ahold of IMM Engines out in California. We are going to do a custom spec camshaft and spring package that will do exactly what I want it to do. Once I get all the info I'll gladly let y'all know what we went with. During our conversation, I found out much of the needed info that I was lacking to help get me to the point I want to be at. This will be a fun project to complete and see if I can meet my necessary goals.

Let's show some of those Hemi guys what a proper Magnum can do lol.

Edit: Also ordering a set of heads to complete the package, but my goal is to first do the cam, show a few of my customers and friends what that'll do, then do the heads and repeat the process. My whole goal for this build will be to make as much as I can safely, but also to show some people in my small little area what each part can do. End goal is to earn some more customers and to get them interested in doing more. My philosophy is, unless you can show them first hand what you can do then no one will ever take you serious.
Loving the attitude. Im in the same boat just seeing what kind of power I can make out of a 360 piece by piece. My friend had an LA 360 that makes decent power and building my Magnum to compete with his. This year its intake and headers on a stock block, next year is going from 3.21 to 4.56 drive (maybe a mini spool), then plan is cam and heads if everything goes well. Something fun about the adventure instead of the finish line.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:28 PM
Blayd
Amateur

It was the same for me.
First was TB, headers and 1.7 rockers.
Then Airgap, injectors and 4:11 gears. ( from stock 3:55's) and a tune.
Then complete tranny rebuild, shift kit, TCI shifter and stall.
Then cam, heads, HV lifters, push rods, back to 1.6 rockers, timing set, AFR gauge, re-tune.....gotta say...its fun.
I'd like to go further, but the next step would have to be more compression and a new bottom end.
But I REALLY like that it's still a GREAT daily driver and doesn't look like it can run.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:49 PM
Blayd
Amateur

If I were to go more "race", I'd go with the 4:56's. I know someone with the 4:88's, it's a beast, but not exactly a daily driver.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:09 AM
i4ni
Amateur

Originally Posted by Justin Hoffert
ok y'all! So I recently installed a new Air-Gap intake and transmission on my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l 4x4. I want to know who has done a cam swap and what did y'all choose? I'm looking around trying to figure which one is proven good. I've heard that the cams from Hughes are regrinds and I would prefer to get a brand new one. Also, what springs did y'all use?

The truck has headers and a intake already done. Just so its out there.

Thanks again y'all!
Just curious how much difference did the Airgap make over stock and at what rpm's? Thanks

Quick Reply: Camshaft question?