2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Camshaft question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Justin Hoffert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft question?

ok y'all! So I recently installed a new Air-Gap intake and transmission on my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l 4x4. I want to know who has done a cam swap and what did y'all choose? I'm looking around trying to figure which one is proven good. I've heard that the cams from Hughes are regrinds and I would prefer to get a brand new one. Also, what springs did y'all use?

The truck has headers and a intake already done. Just so its out there.

Thanks again y'all!

Old 05-12-2020, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Are you planning on a custom tune as well? If not, then your choice of cams is really restricted. Keep in mind, you are probably looking at around 6-700 bucks for the custom tune.

Take a look at the RPM range your manifold is designed to run in, buy a cam that matches.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:54 PM
Justin Hoffert

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are you planning on a custom tune as well? If not, then your choice of cams is really restricted. Keep in mind, you are probably looking at around 6-700 bucks for the custom tune.

Take a look at the RPM range your manifold is designed to run in, buy a cam that matches.
I already have HPtuner and a tuner who is helping me with the tuning. I'm just looking to get a little more horsepower. The goal is to get this meaty little 5.9l to the power range of those new Hemi's haha. Gotta show up my buddy and his 2014 Ram 1500. Mine still looks sexier then his lol

Old 05-13-2020, 07:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

May have a hard time catching up with the Hemi's. But, having your own tuning software opens up a lot of possibilities. With the intake, and a decent cam, the heads are going to be your choke point. The EQ magnum heads flow better, and are even available with bigger valves. The latter would be better for mid-high end power, at the expense of low-end torque. The better flowing heads, with stock size valves would keep all that low-end grunt you want in a truck.

The following users liked this post:
Justin Hoffert (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 04:59 PM
Blayd
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine.
Got the heads, cam, lifters, rockers, pushrods,and hardware from Hughes.
Tune from Performance Injection Equipment.
AF gauge from Innovate.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:16 PM
Blayd
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock heads only allow so much flow, so cam choice should be made based on that. Might want to stick with a 114 LSA. Not alot of "lope", but less valve overlap. That should help keep your torque in a range that daily driving will like. Lower LSA will move your HP and torque higher in the RPM range.
Springs will depend on cam specs and if you're sticking with stock rockers.
You probably won't get anywhere near Hemi HP or torque, it's just not in the range of the parts listed.
These motors start at 245HP on the showroom floor. After 20+ years, maybe 200 to the wheels. Trying to get 175HP from a cam swap wont happen.
BUT it's fun to see what you can get by playing around.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:02 PM
Justin Hoffert

Originally Posted by Blayd
These motors start at 245HP on the showroom floor. After 20+ years, maybe 200 to the wheels. Trying to get 175HP from a cam swap wont happen.
BUT it's fun to see what you can get by playing around.
See that is why I went with a good reman drivetrain before I started to buy parts lol.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:54 AM
AlleyCrawler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just here to get notifications when people help you out.

Currently putting together a stock motor with Pace Setter headers, air gap and a bigger fuel pump. Curious to see what you come up with. For what I'm doing in trying to make a little more power while still pulling decent vacuum and couldn't decide what I wanted yet.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:47 PM
Justin Hoffert

Originally Posted by AlleyCrawler
I'm just here to get notifications when people help you out.

Currently putting together a stock motor with Pace Setter headers, air gap and a bigger fuel pump. Curious to see what you come up with. For what I'm doing in trying to make a little more power while still pulling decent vacuum and couldn't decide what I wanted yet.
I believe I am just going to order the camshaft kit from Hughes and see where that gets me. Personally I haven't been able to get a good answer from Compcam, Lunati, or any other I have contacted. Hughes was the only one who got back to me quickly and without any issue. I have been debating on ordering a supercharger also, but think I'm gonna get the paint job done first lol. My tuner is also going to see about running it on his dyno soon to see where the intake brings us up to. I want to see if Hughes claim is legit or just a little bit of blown smoke.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You may want to check out these cams, The 20-746-9 is the one i may go with. It can be used with or without a tune but obviously you will get more out of it with one. Can still run it and do the tune later.

https://www.compcams.com/products/co...ontrolled.html

Quick Reply: Camshaft question?