2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0132/P0138, Intermittent Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 11:23 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

You might want to post in the 3rd gen section and not try to resurrect a 3 year old post in the second gen section.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:36 PM
Dodgedude84
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same!

Originally Posted by Braedzilla
Ong they needa spill the secrets i have a 03 3.9 and replaced intake and sensors but still backfires and idles rough randomly randomly.
I have been having these EXACT issue since the fall. I came back to this thread to see if there was an update. I am dealing with the exact same trash ight now. A 2000 Dodge Durango 5.2L V8. The codes that are throwing for me is P0132 and P0138. I have changed both the Upstream and Downstream O2 sensors. Cleared the codes and they come back immediately once the vehicle goes closed loop. Then it runs like ****, rough idle, hesitation. I've check the ASD relay, all fuses, grounds.

It's extremely frustrating. I can disconnect the upstream O2 sensor and she will run like a charm (which would hint to me that it's the sensor, but I've deduced that it's not). I don't want to keep driving like that though, because if it is running rich it will kill the cat.

This weekend I'm going to turn my focus to the MAF sensor and maybe the fuel injectors....also smoke machine it and check for a vaccum leak. I've checked the fuel pressure on the fuel rail and it's within specs.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 386 Likes on 363 Posts

P0132 O2 Sensor 1/1 Circuit Voltage High
P0138 O2 Sensor 1/2 Circuit Voltage High
What brand 02's did use? Might want to put a scanner on it and see if the readings change or stay the same. If it stays the same the pcm is not seeing the 02.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:43 PM
Gabehogue16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 dodge Dakota 5.2 rough idle/hesitation

Originally Posted by Dodgedude84
I have been having these EXACT issue since the fall. I came back to this thread to see if there was an update. I am dealing with the exact same trash ight now. A 2000 Dodge Durango 5.2L V8. The codes that are throwing for me is P0132 and P0138. I have changed both the Upstream and Downstream O2 sensors. Cleared the codes and they come back immediately once the vehicle goes closed loop. Then it runs like ****, rough idle, hesitation. I've check the ASD relay, all fuses, grounds.

It's extremely frustrating. I can disconnect the upstream O2 sensor and she will run like a charm (which would hint to me that it's the sensor, but I've deduced that it's not). I don't want to keep driving like that though, because if it is running rich it will kill the cat.

This weekend I'm going to turn my focus to the MAF sensor and maybe the fuel injectors....also smoke machine it and check for a vaccum leak. I've checked the fuel pressure on the fuel rail and it's within specs.
Has anyone found an answer to this issue. My 98 Dakota 5.2 has the same issues. Rougher idle and hesitation at low rpm in drive. Basically it seems that for some reason the fuel isn't getting shut down or restricted like it's supposed to. So when at idle it's like flooding the motor. It starts dumping fuel in and the idle air control valve opens up so I can here that loud and clear. Once the intake is opened up then the truck runs strong but at low rpm and idle where it's not burning all of the fuel that it's being supplied leads to a rough idle and hesitation in drive at low rpm. Unplugging the the front o2 sensor does work. The trucks runs as normal when it is unplugged. I would leave it like that but the check engine light is persistent and there isn't a way to get it to go away in it's current state. Any have a real answer?

Old 09-08-2023, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,374 Likes on 3,115 Posts

How old are the O2's? Does it run ok for a couple minutes at cold start? If so, replace the O2 sensor. Just the front one. If you aren't getting codes, no need to replace the rear. NTK or Denso sensors only please, these trucks don't like bosch.

Old 11-23-2023, 11:22 PM
Dodgedude84

Originally Posted by Gabehogue16
Has anyone found an answer to this issue. My 98 Dakota 5.2 has the same issues. Rougher idle and hesitation at low rpm in drive. Basically it seems that for some reason the fuel isn't getting shut down or restricted like it's supposed to. So when at idle it's like flooding the motor. It starts dumping fuel in and the idle air control valve opens up so I can here that loud and clear. Once the intake is opened up then the truck runs strong but at low rpm and idle where it's not burning all of the fuel that it's being supplied leads to a rough idle and hesitation in drive at low rpm. Unplugging the the front o2 sensor does work. The trucks runs as normal when it is unplugged. I would leave it like that but the check engine light is persistent and there isn't a way to get it to go away in it's current state. Any have a real answer?
I finally got it figured out!!!!!! I went through every imaginable thing possible. I pulled the fuel injectors, cleaned them, spray pattern tested them. New Air filter. Cleaned the throttle body, replaced the throttle body gasket. Put a new PCV valve on. Cleaned spark plugs. Checked for vacuum leaks 10x over. I spent days in frustration and getting my hopes up, just to be let down. This whole time, it's been a faulty ground!!! The ground wire that runs the O2 sensors, also runs the A/C. But that ground wire is located on the passenger side of the motor, on the front left and sits kind of under the alternator and mounted into the manifold. I cut it and put a new connector on it. I pulled the bolt that it was mounted to and scrubbed it really well, gave it a coat of never seize and reinstalled. I also did the same for the main ground that comes off the battery and goes to the drivers side mount on the engine, the is on the front and beside the power steering pump. I truly hope this helps someone in the future. My durango sat for a whole year because I got frustrated with it and couldn't figure it out. Mechanics kept saying that the cat was shot. But you can get a back pressure gage yourself and test it on the upstream. I knew my cat was good.

The following users liked this post:
beau680 (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 06:27 PM
beau680
Professional

Originally Posted by Dodgedude84
I finally got it figured out!!!!!! I went through every imaginable thing possible. I pulled the fuel injectors, cleaned them, spray pattern tested them. New Air filter. Cleaned the throttle body, replaced the throttle body gasket. Put a new PCV valve on. Cleaned spark plugs. Checked for vacuum leaks 10x over. I spent days in frustration and getting my hopes up, just to be let down. This whole time, it's been a faulty ground!!! The ground wire that runs the O2 sensors, also runs the A/C. But that ground wire is located on the passenger side of the motor, on the front left and sits kind of under the alternator and mounted into the manifold. I cut it and put a new connector on it. I pulled the bolt that it was mounted to and scrubbed it really well, gave it a coat of never seize and reinstalled. I also did the same for the main ground that comes off the battery and goes to the drivers side mount on the engine, the is on the front and beside the power steering pump. I truly hope this helps someone in the future. My durango sat for a whole year because I got frustrated with it and couldn't figure it out. Mechanics kept saying that the cat was shot. But you can get a back pressure gage yourself and test it on the upstream. I knew my cat was good.
man oh man!! 2018 when this starting giving me issues. being I've got 60.000 on the truck in the last 10 years it hasn't been much of an issue, until now that i have to drive it every day for the next two months
anyway i discovered the same exact thing the ground for my O2 sensors had been wrapped around the wires from my data link ground very poorly and had become disconnected for who knows how long. i was amazed at what i found I've attached a photo of how this was done.

thanks for sharing your story, resurrecting this thread paid off for me 10 times over!!!
if you got the time check out my story titled "minimum fuel pressure"

as you can see the ground was barely connected, it was getting enough connection to provide live date though..
These grounds runs along the driver side of the engine and bolts up onto the same bracket as the power steering pump

Last edited by beau680; 01-27-2024 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: P0132/P0138, Intermittent Rough Idle