2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

part number for front passenger wheel ujoint

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 07:09 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default part number for front passenger wheel ujoint

Replaced my wheel bearing today and noticed that the ujoint has some play in it on my front passenger wheel does anyone know which part number for autozone it is? I called and the clerk was clueless (as usual) I was thinking this one?
97 ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

https://www.autozone.com/powertrain/...1303_4222_5247

Old 06-30-2020, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Unless you like changing them, get spicer, u-joints. You should have a dana 44 front end, but, over the years I think they changed size in there several times..... So, it's a crap shoot whether you get the right ones first time out.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unless you like changing them, get spicer, u-joints. You should have a dana 44 front end, but, over the years I think they changed size in there several times..... So, it's a crap shoot whether you get the right ones first time out.
O’Reilly right? I’ll give them a call thanks!
hypothetically would you be able to recommend a part number? Their website only shows dimensions not specific application I want to try my best to get the right one the first time

Last edited by Packwood Digital; 06-30-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:57 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Try Rock Auto's web site. They list part number by vehicle. So does Advance Auto.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Try Rock Auto's web site. They list part number by vehicle. So does Advance Auto.

ok I found a spicer joint locally and got it switched out last night. I got it put in with relative ease and clips in no problem.

only issue is when I turn it one way it’s a little more stiff than the other way... is this normal? It’s not binding or anything it just feels kinda “floppy” one way and not so floppy the other way.... I can turn/move them by hand no problem though I just don’t want any weird balance or vibration issue.

Last edited by Packwood Digital; 07-01-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

5-760x for Dana 44. Never heard of any different part.

Be sure to "set" the joint by lightly tapping on the yoke flange which seats the joint evenly. Often overlooked step.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
5-760x for Dana 44. Never heard of any different part.

Be sure to "set" the joint by lightly tapping on the yoke flange which seats the joint evenly. Often overlooked step.
thank you!!

i definitely did do that and it made it better it’s just not EXACTLY the same in both directions. I’ve been told it could just be more grease in one than the other or something and that a little bit of wear will even it out. I’m just wanting to make sure there isn’t anything else I may have overlooked or maybe have not done right but I’m pretty confident I didn’t break anything.

thank you for the advice it’s definitely an overlooked step for most.

Quick Reply: part number for front passenger wheel ujoint