2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced distributor on a 3.9 v6, now runs like ****

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 02:35 PM
Magic3200
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replaced distributor on a 3.9 v6, now runs like ****

So I was having multiple misfires on my truck and I changed the plugs and wires initially thinking I would start easy. Then it went away for awhile then came back so I pulled the distributor and replaced it. Finally got it to run but it runs erratically and the rpms still pulse as if it still had a misfire. It also almost stalled out as well. So my question is is it just majorly out of time? And if so is it something that I could fix or would I have to take it to a shop and have it timed? I've seen other threads that say that I would have to take it somewhere, I just want to be 100% sure

Old 07-03-2020, 03:19 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic3200
So I was having multiple misfires on my truck and I changed the plugs and wires initially thinking I would start easy. Then it went away for awhile then came back so I pulled the distributor and replaced it. Finally got it to run but it runs erratically and the rpms still pulse as if it still had a misfire. It also almost stalled out as well. So my question is is it just majorly out of time? And if so is it something that I could fix or would I have to take it to a shop and have it timed? I've seen other threads that say that I would have to take it somewhere, I just want to be 100% sure
It's not timing it's fuel sync. You messed it up when you pulled it. Get a service manual from the FAQ section. In ignition section it will tell you how to set it to drive it to a shop. They have to set the fuel sync with a scan tool

Old 07-04-2020, 04:35 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

"Fuel sync" is a glorified cam position sensor, it doesn't need to be accurate to the tenth of a degree. The PCM needs to know which cylinders are going to fire and which ones are needing fuel in the next rotation, and it needs to know that in advance of hitting TDC. IIRC fuel sync can vary +/- 8 degrees and it will still work. If you get it to run right with the procedure in the FSM I wouldn't worry about getting it set perfectly.

Quick Reply: Replaced distributor on a 3.9 v6, now runs like ****