2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some advice plz!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 PM
Ryan Allen Hayes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice plz!

Okay I bought a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4.9 L V8 and when I bought it it was fine for the first couple of days then it seems like I couldn't get out of second gear and it would jump from first to second sometimes had to drop it into second and then back into drive to get it to come out of first gear and into second gear and then I could never get into 3rd gear. So look under the truck and noticed that rats have eaten after wiring for the O2 sensor Upstream and I also noticed that the wires on the connector to the top of the transmission and right there on the side of the transmission kind of weird the spring is and also the connector that has a magnet at the end of it when you screw it into the transmission the wires on those connectors are all exposed and touching each other so I maneuvered him around and put some liquid tape on them and now it seems like I'm in limp mode or something because it's like I'm stuck in 3rd or 4th gear and now I don't have first and second anymore it stays in 3rd and 4th gear when I put it in Drive and with the O2 sensor I had to cut the connector off of it because there was no connector to plug the Upstream 02 into because the rats ate that completely off so I have to figure out what wires go to what so I can have my O2 Upstream sensor back. And what should I do about those connectors there are touching each other because I don't think the liquid type is working?

Old 07-16-2020, 11:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Allen Hayes
Okay I bought a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4.9 L V8 and when I bought it it was fine for the first couple of days then it seems like I couldn't get out of second gear and it would jump from first to second sometimes had to drop it into second and then back into drive to get it to come out of first gear and into second gear and then I could never get into 3rd gear. So look under the truck and noticed that rats have eaten after wiring for the O2 sensor Upstream and I also noticed that the wires on the connector to the top of the transmission and right there on the side of the transmission kind of weird the spring is and also the connector that has a magnet at the end of it when you screw it into the transmission the wires on those connectors are all exposed and touching each other so I maneuvered him around and put some liquid tape on them and now it seems like I'm in limp mode or something because it's like I'm stuck in 3rd or 4th gear and now I don't have first and second anymore it stays in 3rd and 4th gear when I put it in Drive and with the O2 sensor I had to cut the connector off of it because there was no connector to plug the Upstream 02 into because the rats ate that completely off so I have to figure out what wires go to what so I can have my O2 Upstream sensor back. And what should I do about those connectors there are touching each other because I don't think the liquid type is working?
Download the FSM from the FAQ section wiring is in Section 8W. As for the connectors replace them. If it's hard to solder them, use heat shrink butt connectors

Old 07-17-2020, 01:14 AM
Ryan Allen Hayes

Yeah i was going to order the wiring connecters for those 3 plugs but im not sure what name of connecters to buy.? The one on side by the spring is 3 prong and the one right above on top of transmission i think is like 7 or 8 prong plug and the one with a magnetic tip that screws in has 2 prong connection.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:20 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yeah i was going to order the wiring connecters for those 3 plugs but im not sure what name of connecters to buy.? The one on side by the spring is 3 prong and the one right above on top of transmission i think is like 7 or 8 prong plug and the one with a magnetic tip that screws in has 2 prong connection.
The 3 pin is neutral safety switch
8 pin is transmission connector
The 2 pin where is it located?

Old 07-17-2020, 01:47 AM
Ryan Allen Hayes

2 pin is located around were the o2 upstream sensor plugs in at its a plastic screw in sensor and has a magnetic tip.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:19 AM
Ryan Allen Hayes

2 pin is located around were the o2 upstream sensor plugs in at its a plastic screw in sensor and has a magnetic tip.
located right behind transmission pan

Old 07-17-2020, 02:20 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

located right behind transmission pan
That sounds like the output speed sensor

Old 07-17-2020, 02:40 AM
Ryan Allen Hayes

Okay I'll order those connectors thank you for giving me the names of those. Now the thing is what should I do about the limp mode because when I'm at a stop light or stop sign or something it takes forever for me to get up to even just 30 miles an hour because it's in 3rd gear. I have ordered a governor pressure solenoid do I need to get the transducer as well or is just getting the governor pressure solenoid going to fix it?

Old 07-17-2020, 03:13 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Okay I'll order those connectors thank you for giving me the names of those. Now the thing is what should I do about the limp mode because when I'm at a stop light or stop sign or something it takes forever for me to get up to even just 30 miles an hour because it's in 3rd gear. I have ordered a governor pressure solenoid do I need to get the transducer as well or is just getting the governor pressure solenoid going to fix it?
That 8 pin connector is the main connector for the trans. With it being damaged it can cause all kinds of transmission problems

Old 07-17-2020, 11:05 AM
Ryan Allen Hayes

I cant find that 8 pin connector on rock auto anywhere. It has the other two but not the 8 pin. Maybe you can find it?

Quick Reply: Need some advice plz!