2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolent leak source

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 07:12 PM
Edwin D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolent leak source

Violent
I haveIhave aha 2000 ramaram 360 5.9 coolant leak that does not appear to be coming from the water pump or a hose. It appears to be coming from the mounting bolt to where the power steering pump connects. it doesn't look like it's the water pump and I don't see any coolant hoses close by.

Last edited by Edwin D; 07-17-2020 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Forgot info
Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwin D
Violent
I haveIhave aha 2000 ramaram 360 5.9 coolant leak that does not appear to be coming from the water pump or a hose. It appears to be coming from the mounting bolt to where the power steering pump connects. it doesn't look like it's the water pump and I don't see any coolant hoses close by.
Probably bypass house

Old 07-18-2020, 06:24 PM
Edwin D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No pass hose

Is the Bi pass hose right where the power steering pump attached to the motor ! I don't see a hose there. But water comes out or drips down to the metal between the pump and the motor .

Old 07-18-2020, 08:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Its above the timing cover. Coolant pools on the top of it, then runs down in various spots. Pull the a/c compressor out of the way, have a look at the hose, and the cover itself.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:45 AM
Gen2Guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

What HeyYou is talking about is the tube that is coming out from above the water pump and under your air conditioner that connects to a 3/4~1 inch hose that goes to your cab heater.
It's bolted in place with a single mounting bolt and is basically a straight pipe with an o-ring on it to seal it. The o-ring goes bad after a while and causes a leak.

If you are talking about the actual top mounting bolt of the power steering pump...well that's bolted directly into the engine head, and may penetrate a water passage...I don't know, but it would be easy enough to find out..just loosen the bolt and see if it gets worse. That bolt by the way is also your main engine ground..so you don't really want it getting soaked to much.

The leak may also be coming from where the hose is clamped to the bypass tube (cab heater tube).

Quick Reply: Coolent leak source