2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel pump issue, pressure high, starts hard

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 04:29 PM
jeff1a
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel pump issue, pressure high, starts hard

My 1997 Ram with a 5.2 starts hard meaning excessive crank time. I have checked fuel pressure, once engine is running fuel pressure runs 55-60 psi and drops immediately to near zero when engine is shut off. The previous owner apparently tried to repair by adding a check valve in the fuel line. I removed the valve and installed a tee fitting in it's place so I have a place to check fuel pressure. The fitting is located along the frame next to the transmission. For what it's worth the truck does not start much harder with the check valve removed.
I believe the fuel pump has 2 issues 1) the regulating valve is faulty resulting in high fuel pressure and 2) The check valve in the pump assembly is faulty which is why the truck starts hard.
What I am wondering is what others have used for replacement pumps and the service you have gotten from them. Particularly interested in four pumps offered by Rock Auto.
1) Spectra Premium $84
2) US Motorworks $88
3) Delphi $148
4) Denso $180
Rock Auto has four other pumps offered as economy Ultra Power, Auto Best, Brute Power, Carter, price points are similar to the first two pumps listed above but a little scared of them as they are listed as economy pumps.
I haven't priced a Mopar pump but my guess is that it would run $250-300.
Thanks
Jeff

Old 07-26-2020, 06:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Go with the Delphi, or Denso pump. The off brand guys tend to fail fairly quickly.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

When you swap them make sure you mark the orientation of the pump to the tank. This seems to be something a lot of people don't do.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 PM
jeff1a

Well finally installed a new Delphi pump. Fuel pressure now in spec. and engine starts with a normal amount of cranking. Fuel gauge functions normally. Ordered pump from Rock Auto first one I received did not have an adapter harness to be able to connect to truck harness. I sent a message to Rock Auto and their first reply was that the harness was not included. I sent a message back saying the their picture of the pump clearly shows an adapter harness and a picture of what I received. After that Rock Auto agreed to replace the pump. To their credit the replacement pump was sent as soon as FedEx checked in the faulty pump. While this was a bit of a fiasco overall I am happy with Rock Auto and will continue to purchase parts from them.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:40 PM
jeff1a

Forgot to mention the fuel pressure holds after engine is shut off.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issue, pressure high, starts hard