2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 05:16 PM
Brandon White
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Ram 3.9L V6 ABS Light

Just bought a 3.9l 1998 dodge ram 2wd.. Going through the issues and can't seem to get the ABS and BRAKE lights off. I've replaced the wheel speed sensor with a brand new one and the issue persists. I've used electrical cleaner on the connectors. Im not sure if it's the module because i still have the functioning speedometer, usually it goes out if it's the module. I dont see any frays in the wires and i've also checked the fuses which are all good. Can the trans speed sensor cause these lights? Any help is appreciated. Also- Ran my Cheap OBD2 Reader and got no codes (these are the only lights on)

Last edited by Brandon White; 07-29-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:29 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

No the trans speed sensor can not cause the lights. Cheap OBDII readers typically can not talk on the CCD bus that interconnects all the different modules in the truck so they can't retrieve ABS codes. There are other failures besides the rear sensor that can set codes, and the module itself is working and sending speed signals to the cluster. On older trucks there was a trick to retrieve ABS codes but that doesn't work on a 98 AFAIK. Best option is to find somebody who has a shop level tool.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

2 or 4 wheel abs?

Old 11-06-2020, 12:44 AM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon White
Just bought a 3.9l 1998 dodge ram 2wd.. Going through the issues and can't seem to get the ABS and BRAKE lights off. I've replaced the wheel speed sensor with a brand new one and the issue persists. I've used electrical cleaner on the connectors. Im not sure if it's the module because i still have the functioning speedometer, usually it goes out if it's the module. I dont see any frays in the wires and i've also checked the fuses which are all good. Can the trans speed sensor cause these lights? Any help is appreciated. Also- Ran my Cheap OBD2 Reader and got no codes (these are the only lights on)
Air in the brake system triggered my ABS/BRAKE lights. Once I bled them, they went away.

Quick Reply: ABS lights