2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone ever had the brake pedal return spring go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 01:19 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts
Lightbulb Anyone ever had the brake pedal return spring go bad?

Noticed earlier today that my '96 Ram 2500 had the brake lights on after I had driven the truck earlier in the day. I opened up the truck and took my hand and lifted the brake pedal up just a bit to turn the brake lights off. My brakes have been working just fine to-date, so I'm wondering if I need to replace the brake return spring, since its over 24 years old and may have lost a slight bit of tension. After looking up the part, it appears to be discontinued. Does anyone know if the return spring is readily available in the aftermarket?

Old 08-20-2020, 06:19 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Is it the spring or just some slop, Sounds like the brake light switch issue i had with mine. Replaced it and working fine ever since.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:09 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Noticed earlier today that my '96 Ram 2500 had the brake lights on after I had driven the truck earlier in the day. I opened up the truck and took my hand and lifted the brake pedal up just a bit to turn the brake lights off. My brakes have been working just fine to-date, so I'm wondering if I need to replace the brake return spring, since its over 24 years old and may have lost a slight bit of tension. After looking up the part, it appears to be discontinued. Does anyone know if the return spring is readily available in the aftermarket?

I've had springs go bad but these were usually older style trucks from the 1960's and earlier. On yours, it's probably the brake light switch. I'll bet your cruise control, if you have it, likes to disengage going down the road. If that happens, t's definitely your switch.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:54 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I have also seen the brake light come on after driving the truck a while, but the brakes have been working fine. No brake fluid has been lost and there are no leaks. This may be looking like the brake light switch is going bad.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:54 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Thanks for the tips. I have also seen the brake light come on after driving the truck a while, but the brakes have been working fine. No brake fluid has been lost and there are no leaks. This may be looking like the brake light switch is going bad.

90% chance it's your switch. If the brake lights are coming on but your brakes have no issues, the switch would be the first thing I'd check. It could be something else, but probably not. Like Jennifer Garner inviting me over for dinner. Possible but not likely.

Old 08-22-2020, 08:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Like Jennifer Garner inviting me over for dinner. Possible but not likely.
I think she would be obtainable in certain circles, She does those annoying insurance commercials.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:34 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Moparite
I think she would be obtainable in certain circles, She does those annoying insurance commercials.
I figure I have two chances with her. Slim and fat. If I'm not mistaken, Slim has bus tickets out of town.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had the brake pedal return spring go bad?