2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble Upshifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 11:25 PM
BlueMotorz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Upshifting

Hey, so I've got a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 2wd auto trans. w/ ~86k miles. Here recently, I've discovered that it doesn't upshift correctly/efficiently whether it's on the freeway or regular streets. On a rare occasion will it shift through my gears normally while driving.

It has no problem going from 1st to 2nd, but from there, the rpms just keep climbing slowly. This is until I play with the gas pedal a little bit (i.e. floor it for half a second or so and let off until it shifts) that it then upshifts to 3rd, then as I keep driving, finally to 4th normally. It doesn't seem like it's slipping bc the rpms don't shoot up sporadically or anything (at least I'm thinking considering I've never had a car with slippage). Mind you, I typically drive this vehicle keeping it just under 2k rpms daily driving as it shifts.

Downshifts seem fine when braking, and I checked the transmission fluid and it seems fine as it's at the "OK" section of the dipstick. Is there anything else explicitly that could be the culprit, like a sensor or shift solenoid?

Bonus question: are there any other issues around this many miles that I should be looking out for as well?

Thank you!

Old 08-23-2020, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Make sure TV cable is adjusted properly.

If it hasn't happened recently, changing fluid/filter may not hurt. Changing the governor pressure sensor/solenoid may not be a bad idea either.

The following users liked this post:
BlueMotorz (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 09:27 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Bonus question: are there any other issues around this many miles that I should be looking out for as well?
You may be looking into the plenum gasket issue soon. There was question on another forum i believe at what mileage did your plenum gasket start failing. Most was around 130K.

The following users liked this post:
BlueMotorz (08-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Trouble Upshifting