2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear pinion bearing check

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020 | 01:58 PM
Packwood Digital
|
Professional
Default Rear pinion bearing check

I got a new seal because my rear pinion seal is leaking. And the wonderful @Hey You suggested I change it. After I disconnected my driveshaft this morning I noticed play in the rear pinion shaft/yoke that’s connected to my differential housing. I can turn it left and right about half an inch...

does this mean I need to also do the bearings? They are cheap and I don’t mind doing it but I’ve read conflicting reports that you have to disassemble the differential to do it, while others say you don’t need to if it’s just the front bearings behind the seal...

I can’t find and actual how to or video on YouTube of it being done on my make and model.

ive read the service manual but can’t seem to find the answer in the differential section... maybe I’m just missing it?

ive searched all over the forum and can’t find a specific answer..

If it’s just the bearing behind the seal being replaced can I just pry the old one out and put the new one in? Or do I have to disassemble the differential housing? Either way is there a write up or video anyone is aware of?

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L AT

Old 09-12-2020 | 02:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it's just rotational slop, that is designed in, and isn't anything to worry about. If it's slop in any other direction that is bad.

Front bearing on the pinion is easy, the race, not so much...... If the race itself is ok, I will just swap the bearing itself, and call it a day. If the race is bad, then the whole diff needs to come apart. Reassembly requires some specialized tools, that most folks don't have.... Precision measuring tools, and such. Plus, the tool to turn the adjusters on the carrier. (you can likely make one up without too much trouble.)

Old 09-12-2020 | 05:39 PM
Packwood Digital
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it's just rotational slop, that is designed in, and isn't anything to worry about. If it's slop in any other direction that is bad.

Front bearing on the pinion is easy, the race, not so much...... If the race itself is ok, I will just swap the bearing itself, and call it a day. If the race is bad, then the whole diff needs to come apart. Reassembly requires some specialized tools, that most folks don't have.... Precision measuring tools, and such. Plus, the tool to turn the adjusters on the carrier. (you can likely make one up without too much trouble.)
ahhhhhh, okay! I’ll double check for vertical movement but that’s some GOOD NEWS! Thank you a million my good sir!

Quick Reply: Rear pinion bearing check