2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end whine

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 02:49 PM
Mike7963
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end whine

My front differential is making a whining noise when I go forward. The faster I go, the higher pitch it is. We thought wheel Hubs at first, but replaced those and it didn't change. The U joints in the front axle shafts are also replaced. I opened the front differential and it didn't have much fluid in it. So we completely cleaned it and replaced the gasket, then put the cover back on. We also replaced the pinion seal because it was leaking. And lastly, replaced the seal in the 4x4 actuator because that was also leaking. So there are no more leaks in the front end and the front differential is full. It's quieter than it was when we started, but it's still there. It also has a slight clicking noise up front that recently started. Any ideas?

Old 09-24-2020, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Likely two separate problems. The whine is probably a bearing that took a beating from being low on fluid. Those are neither fun, nor easy to change..... Gears are really picky about their setup, and if you do it wrong, you'll munch 'em up in a hurry. Clicking is probably one of the outer u-joints on the front axle.

The following users liked this post:
1SaltyGreenBean (12-22-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike7963
My front differential is making a whining noise when I go forward. The faster I go, the higher pitch it is. We thought wheel Hubs at first, but replaced those and it didn't change. The U joints in the front axle shafts are also replaced. I opened the front differential and it didn't have much fluid in it. So we completely cleaned it and replaced the gasket, then put the cover back on. We also replaced the pinion seal because it was leaking. And lastly, replaced the seal in the 4x4 actuator because that was also leaking. So there are no more leaks in the front end and the front differential is full. It's quieter than it was when we started, but it's still there. It also has a slight clicking noise up front that recently started. Any ideas?

Get up to speed and slip it into neutral. If the whine changes, or goes away, it will help track down the issue. If it doesn't change, like HeyYou said, you probably have a worn bearing or gear inside.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:02 PM
Mike7963

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Likely two separate problems. The whine is probably a bearing that took a beating from being low on fluid. Those are neither fun, nor easy to change..... Gears are really picky about their setup, and if you do it wrong, you'll munch 'em up in a hurry. Clicking is probably one of the outer u-joints on the front axle.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I don't want to have to change the gears in the front end, but it's starting to seem like I may have to.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:03 PM
Mike7963

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Get up to speed and slip it into neutral. If the whine changes, or goes away, it will help track down the issue. If it doesn't change, like HeyYou said, you probably have a worn bearing or gear inside.
I'll have to try that. Thank you. I hadn't thought of that.

Quick Reply: Front end whine