2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans temp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 09:17 PM
mud slinger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans temp?

Well I haven’t installed my cooler for my truck yet so it’s just running off the factory radiator part, but I put my temp gauge on the hot line the output from trans to radiator and at idle it’ll sit at 160 all day but after cruising down the road it slowly builds to 220 I know that’s a bad number but could it just be because I have it on the hottest line because it he instructions said put it on line from radiator to trans but I’d rather know the hottest right, but this is fluid coming straight out of the converter I believe because it flows like a river when disconnecting line and fluid in the pan doesn’t go that high. I’m regearing before I actually used the truck for anything towing so I know that’ll make it happier and I have a 30k gvwr cooler just have to get some fittings and more line kit didn’t have everything it claimed to and it has a fan so I’ll do that before I drive it again but would this temp make sense because of its the hottest part or this not good and till it goes below 200 I shouldn’t drive it?

Old 09-27-2020, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

If the temp of the fluid coming out of the trans is 220, that is indeed what you want to know. According to TCI....... 175 to 225 is 'acceptable'..... but, under 200 is best.....

Old 09-27-2020, 10:09 PM
mud slinger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the temp of the fluid coming out of the trans is 220, that is indeed what you want to know. According to TCI....... 175 to 225 is 'acceptable'..... but, under 200 is best.....
okay well I’m sure the cooler I’ll throw on will mark it down a lot or enough, and then regearing to 4.88s will make it all work way easier then it would stick with a tow package unless it was a 4.10 one then a bit less in rpms but less then 100 different. And I just changed all 20qt so it’s as good as it can get in factory form I guess mods make things better. And I have all new trans lines I didn’t take out the thermostat in the line though but I figure since the only old part I got the system is the tranny with my flushing every 30k there can’t be too much debre and it was all mostly fine powder in pan magnet just one chunk of something but a small piece. But it never went passed 220 going up a bridge full throttle so I guess at least there is that, I was testing it in all places as is since I got the new gauge on. It’ll be cool to see what the extra cooler does!

Quick Reply: Trans temp?