2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 ram 3500 fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 AM
Dwf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ram 3500 fire

I’m looking at buying a 2001 ram 3500, 4wd, dually, 6speed manual.
it has a salvaged title due to a fire, back in 2004. The owner said the wiring harness was replaced. The truck only has 92,000 miles, and I’m concerned it’s because it’s been broke down a lot. The owner claims it’s had no electrical issues.
the owner also said he was in the military, so it sat a lot.
Anyone have experience with a truck with this kind of repair? Chronic electrical issues?
any advice is appreciated!

thanks!

Old 09-30-2020, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If the harness, and anything else that was damaged was replaced that long ago, I would expect that most of the issues have been ironed out. Keep in mind, a salvage title immediately makes the truck worth about 50% less than what a standard titled truck would be worth.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:56 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Keep in mind, a salvage title immediately makes the truck worth about 50% less than what a standard titled truck would be worth.
You have to know what a "salvage" title is, It's a vehicle that the insurance company doesn't want to spend the money/time to fix. Granted some are not worth it but you can get some deals on salvage vehicles that only have minor issues. Every state is different how they deal with them also. Where i live if you get one you need to document the repairs and have receipts for any parts used. You then have to take it to a state inspection facility(different then DVM) where if it passes they will issue a clean title. You may want to check with your state DMV to see how they handle salvage vehicles before you buy it.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:35 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Personally, I would avoid a salvage titled vehicle. My insurance will not even offer a policy for a salvage title. There are plenty of other choices out there.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

As Moparite pointed out, every state deals with them differently. I agree that it is definitely a good idea to see how your location deals with them before spending the money.

Here in Michigan, if the insurance company totals a vehicle, for whatever reason, (generally if repairs would exceed more than half the value of the vehicle.....) you can buy it from them for dirt cheap, get a salvage title, fix it, and drive it. I have bought 'totaled' cars before, with just cosmetic damage, fixed them, and drove them for several years without trouble. Since they were dirt cheap, (and no loans against them....) I just carried the minimum insurance necessary to be street legal. Put a lot of miles on a few of them.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (10-01-2020)

Quick Reply: 2001 ram 3500 fire