2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird rattling sound from front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:55 PM
simanio872
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird rattling sound from front end

Hey guys,

So today (at least i noticed it today) my truck started making this odd rattling/rubbing sound, only way i could describe it is like shaking a metal bucket with a nice sized nut in it. The truck is a 97 3500, auto tranny and a lil over 100k. Looking for suggestions on what to check out. The sound is coming from the front end of the truck but its hard to pinpoint where it is because it seems to only do it when moving, although it might do it under load i didn't think about revving it up till now lol. I also noticed that it seems to be more pronounced when turning, and on my way in i took a bumpy turn fairly quick and the sound got really loud. My only solid theory is the brakes, i know they're at the end of their lifespan (pads and rotors) but im not sure why they would make a rattling noise or why they would make noise while not on the brakes. Also just changed the oil if that makes any difference, dont think i dropped any bolts in the oil pan though Any input would be appreciated, im kind of paranoid about driving it now lol. Thanks!

Old 10-06-2020, 10:47 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by simanio872
Hey guys,

So today (at least i noticed it today) my truck started making this odd rattling/rubbing sound, only way i could describe it is like shaking a metal bucket with a nice sized nut in it. The truck is a 97 3500, auto tranny and a lil over 100k. Looking for suggestions on what to check out. The sound is coming from the front end of the truck but its hard to pinpoint where it is because it seems to only do it when moving, although it might do it under load i didn't think about revving it up till now lol. I also noticed that it seems to be more pronounced when turning, and on my way in i took a bumpy turn fairly quick and the sound got really loud. My only solid theory is the brakes, i know they're at the end of their lifespan (pads and rotors) but im not sure why they would make a rattling noise or why they would make noise while not on the brakes. Also just changed the oil if that makes any difference, dont think i dropped any bolts in the oil pan though Any input would be appreciated, im kind of paranoid about driving it now lol. Thanks!
Check the axle shaft u-joints. They are splined to the hubs and turn all the time, even in 2WD. Also check the dust shields behind the rotors and make sure an inner fender didn't come loose.

The following users liked this post:
simanio872 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:53 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

4wd? Diesel?
Lots of things can make a rattle sound.

simanio872 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 12:39 AM
simanio872
Amateur

Originally Posted by 2bit
Check the axle shaft u-joints. They are splined to the hubs and turn all the time, even in 2WD. Also check the dust shields behind the rotors and make sure an inner fender didn't come loose.
ill check all that out, thanks man!

Old 10-07-2020, 12:42 AM
simanio872
Amateur

Originally Posted by Ramman18
4wd? Diesel?
Lots of things can make a rattle sound.
yes, and yes. Also yes, just looking for things to check out, its a rather unique rattle and im drawing a blank lol

Old 10-07-2020, 06:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I also noticed that it seems to be more pronounced when turning
Axle outer u joints is my bet, Replace them with spicers and don't use anything else unless you like doing them again.

simanio872 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 04:42 PM
simanio872
Amateur

Figured id post any update, i think (key word lol) i fixed the rattle, the was a semi loose exhaust clamp which i imagine would make some noise, especially on bumps. Looks like the u joints should be replaced too though so ill be ordering some tonight. Some of the ball joints look trashed too so ill need to do something with those too, man im gonna be broke this week lol. Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 10-20-2020, 11:11 AM
N9ninchd
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aw man - it has been awhile since I looked - would have told ya it was the exhaust shield. Mine rattles pretty good, usually only when cold - once the V10 gets hot it finds a home and shuts up.

simanio872 (10-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Weird rattling sound from front end