2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Track Bar Conversion: 2nd to 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 01:29 PM
ktbass
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track Bar Conversion: 2nd to 3rd Gen

Hi again guys,

Took off work today to try and help solve my death wobble problem on my 1994 1500 4x4.

After a couple hours of beating the old track bar with a hammer and heating it with propane torch, I finally got the stock track bar off.

Now I'm trying to install the new bracket and adjustable track bar. I only drive this truck on the weekends, not a daily driver, so I opted for a cheaper part from eBay.

Can you guys take a look and see if you think it will fit my truck based on the pictures and product description?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222670536407

It says it will fit a 1500, but after clicking on "more info", it says 2500 and 3500....

If it will work, how the heck does this bracket fit on my truck? Axle side seems easy enough, but am struggling with the frame/bracket side.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:58 PM
ktbass
Amateur

Searching around a little bit and found this bracket, that looks like it might be a similar design to the one I have... Going to dry giving these directions a try.

https://www.bryansautorebuilders.com...4-trac-bar-kit

Any other advice would be appreciated. You guys always give great tips that make the job easier.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:53 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 10-19-2020, 03:14 PM
ktbass
Amateur

Originally Posted by 2bit
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...3rd-gen-2.html

This might help. Post 26 has a video
Thanks for the reply. I did read that thread and watched the video a few times. That bracket is different, pretty sure I'm going to have to drill my cross member to get my bracket to fit.... Not something I wanted to do

Old 10-19-2020, 06:00 PM
ktbass
Amateur

Originally Posted by ktbass
Searching around a little bit and found this bracket, that looks like it might be a similar design to the one I have... Going to dry giving these directions a try.

https://www.bryansautorebuilders.com...4-trac-bar-kit

Any other advice would be appreciated. You guys always give great tips that make the job easier.
This ended up being close-enough directions.

I ended up having to drill out the factory frame side track bar mount hole with a 5/8" drill bit.
Then I unbolted the brake line from the cross-member, drilled out that hole to 1/2".

Can't say I'm impressed with the kit I bought off eBay. It was short one bolt, so I didn't get to finish, but I think the hard part is over with. I just have to get the new track bar on now....then take it to the shop to get an alignment done....

After that, I really hope I can come back here and report that my death-wobble is gone....or at least greatly improved.

The following users liked this post:
2bit (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 09:13 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Death wobble is nothing to play with. When I first purchased my '96 Ram 2500 4x4 truck, I experienced a severe case of death wobble while driving down the highway. I felt like I was loosing control of the truck. Luckily, nothing was around me and I was able to slow down to regain control of the truck.

If you haven't already, please be sure to check all front end parts for wear and replace them, as worn front end parts are big contributors to death wobble.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:22 PM
ktbass
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Death wobble is nothing to play with. When I first purchased my '96 Ram 2500 4x4 truck, I experienced a severe case of death wobble while driving down the highway. I felt like I was loosing control of the truck. Luckily, nothing was around me and I was able to slow down to regain control of the truck.

If you haven't already, please be sure to check all front end parts for wear and replace them, as worn front end parts are big contributors to death wobble.
Thanks, I've been throwing parts at trying to solve the death wobble for a while now. Hoping this does the trick. Just need to buy a new nut/bolt and I'll be good to finish the install.

Quick Reply: Track Bar Conversion: 2nd to 3rd Gen