2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dash/tail lights out

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Nikita24v
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
It's 100% reproducible that the fuse blows when the dome light comes on ? Is that only when manually turning it on via the headlight switch or also from the door switches ?

One particular quirk with the lighting is that for the tail lights etc. the switch connects power to the light bulbs. For the dome and cargo lights however the switch connects ground to the lamps. If through some wiring issue the wire for the dome light and the feed for the tail lights contact each other turning on the dome light would connect power to ground and blow the fuse.
the fuse blows when the dome lights turn on from switching them on or opening the doors. Correct me if I’m wrong I’m completely new to all the electrical stuff but I’m going to have to rip out the whole interior and look at all the wires after checking the grounds?

Old 10-08-2020, 08:17 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikita24v
the fuse blows when the dome lights turn on from switching them on or opening the doors. Correct me if I’m wrong I’m completely new to all the electrical stuff but I’m going to have to rip out the whole interior and look at all the wires after checking the grounds?
No, you need to figure out what the problem is first. The fact that you're not familiar with troubleshooting automotive circuits adds to the challenge though. Do you own a test light or a digital multimeter (voltmeter, ohmmeter etc.) ?

The way I'd attack this is like this: Remove head light switch from wiring harness, remove fuse F in the PDC. Check for 12V on the yellow wire at the head light switch connector with the doors closed. It should have power. Check for 12V at the pink/red wire. It should *not* have 12V because the fuse in the PDC is out. If it does there is some sort of short between the two. You can verify it by opening the door, voltage should drop to zero. Have a really close look at the connector, it's not that common on the later models but it might have melted which happened a lot with the older models with the pull switch. Report back what you find.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Nikita24v

No, you need to figure out what the problem is first. The fact that you're not familiar with troubleshooting automotive circuits adds to the challenge though. Do you own a test light or a digital multimeter (voltmeter, ohmmeter etc.) ?

The way I'd attack this is like this: Remove head light switch from wiring harness, remove fuse F in the PDC. Check for 12V on the yellow wire at the head light switch connector with the doors closed. It should have power. Check for 12V at the pink/red wire. It should *not* have 12V because the fuse in the PDC is out. If it does there is some sort of short between the two. You can verify it by opening the door, voltage should drop to zero. Have a really close look at the connector, it's not that common on the later models but it might have melted which happened a lot with the older models with the pull switch. Report back what you find.
the yellow wire has power and pink has no power without fuse with door open or closed

Last edited by Nikita24v; 10-09-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:16 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Well so much for that idea...... Should have asked the question earlier: Does the fuse go regardless of the lights being turned on or does it only blow when the lights are on and you open the door/turn on the dome light ?

Old 10-10-2020, 08:44 PM
Nikita24v

Well so much for that idea...... Should have asked the question earlier: Does the fuse go regardless of the lights being turned on or does it only blow when the lights are on and you open the door/turn on the dome light ?
well I just found out the fuse only blows when I use the switch for the dome lights. Otherwise it doesn’t blow at all. Door would open and dome lights would light at up and not blow but last time I checked the fuse still blew with the dome lights turning on even with the door opening.

Quick Reply: Dash/tail lights out