2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bluetooth obd2 scanners

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 06:55 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth obd2 scanners

Has anyone here used one of those Bluetooth obd2 scanners on a 1999 v10 by any chance? I知 looking for one compatible for my truck and I知 looking for recommendations if there痴 any. Thanks, Lynn

Old 10-10-2020, 07:22 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

I have an OBDLink MX+ that I mostly use with AlphaOBD for my newer truck and Jeep. It does work with my 2001 V8 but it's just basic functionality based on common OBD2 standards. In general the newer tools are somewhat weak when it comes to older vehicles. From what I hear even the upper end Autel scanners don't really care about last millennium vehicles. I'd venture Snap-On or Bosch still support the older vehicles but at exorbitant cost.

Keep your eyes open on craigslist, Facebook marketplace etc. sometimes people sell older shop level scan tools for cheap. I scored an OTC Genisys with 2008 software for $75 from a shop in town.

The following users liked this post:
Lynn Wells (10-15-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 07:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Very few of the bluetooth fellers will read SRS, or ABS modules. Well, Ok, the software that comes with them won't........ The software is what is most important. Here is a review of some of them. There are literally hundreds out there, and the free ones aren't worth it. In order for the software to actually be useful...... you are gonna have to pay for it. There is another one that isn't on that list, whose name I simply cannot remember at the moment, that is also supposedly pretty good. Pay attention to what platform the software is available for as well. Buying something that is android only, ain't gonna work on your Apple smart phone.

Lynn Wells (10-15-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 06:24 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Are they really "smart" if you have to proof read everything you type in?

Lynn Wells (10-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Bluetooth obd2 scanners