2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

O2 sensor wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 12:56 AM
Lynn Wells
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve used an innova wired obd2 scanner and 2 different Bluetooth scanners with about 5 different apps and they all say 5 oxygen sensors. Correct me if I’m wrong, would bank 2, 2 be after the cat?i suppose I can crawl under the truck in the morning and start unplugging one at a time, I’m sure that will tell me something. I just drove the truck to town and back, about 80 miles or so. It drove pretty well and didn’t idle too, too high, but there was a slight hesitation when driving like maybe it’s not getting enough fuel, maybe. I’ve checkEd fuel pressure at idle and it’s 49psi. Maybe I’ve got dirty injectors, I suspect they’re a pain in the *** to get to a few of them. If you guys think of something let me know please and thank you, Lynn

Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

You're overthinking it. Any OBD2 reader that doesn't have a manufacturer specific database just queries the PCM so they all are going to show the same. Now why the PCM reports five O2 sensors is a different question that we'll probably never figure out. If you look at live data you'll probably find that the 5th sensor is merely mirroring another one.

The fuel trims look good, no CEL so I don't think the hesitation and idle issues are O2 sensor related.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:44 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

So, I’ve been monitoring the obd2 scanner when I’m driving and idling and I’m certain that the sensors are not mirroring one another. They are reading different. Crazy, anyways. I’ve been driving and trying to get my oxygen sensor monitor and my evaporator monitor to run And they will not. Any tricks to get them to run or am I missing something? Maybe they are related, the mystery sensor and my monitors not running. Idk I’d appreciate any help and the help I’ve gotten so far. I’m trying to move across country in this truck without it breaking down and u guys have been a tremendous help, Lynn

Old 10-27-2020, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

There are specific things that need to happen for the monitors to complete, should be listed in the service manual somewhere..... For some of them, it can take a while..... 20 or more drive cycles.....

Then sensors *should* bounce between 0 and 1 volt. That means they are more or less doing their job. Post cat sensors won't be as active as pre-cat.... that's normal.

The following users liked this post:
Lynn Wells (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 03:42 PM
Lynn Wells
Amateur

Good grief, now my engine coolant temperature sensor is out! This truck sat for three years before I bought it and I have replaced damn near everything on it. It’s lucky that I like it.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor wires