2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U-Bolts for Larger Rear Lift Blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 01:57 PM
WalkerTexas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Bolts for Larger Rear Lift Blocks?

Hey everyone, new to the forums here. I've got a 96 5.9 1500 2WD.

I have a leveling kit installed in the front, but the lift blocks I added in the rear were too short to make it even with the front. I went out and bought some 2 inch blocks, hopefully to even it out, but the factory u-bolts aren't big enough.

Does anyone know of where I might find some larger u-bolts that will fit? Like a manufacturer or shop that might sell just the u-bolts? I found a pretty cheap-ish kit on Superlift Suspension's site that might be my last resort if I don't find any. I'm sorry if this has been posted before, when I try and research this, all I can find are full block kits for sale with the u-bolts included as opposed to only the u-bolts.

Any information is appreciated!

Last edited by WalkerTexas; 10-14-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by WalkerTexas
Hey everyone, new to the forums here. I've got a 96 5.9 1500 2WD.

I have a leveling kit installed in the front, but the lift blocks I added in the rear were too short to make it even. I went out and bought some 2 inch blocks, hopefully to even it out, but the factory u-bolts aren't big enough.

Does anyone know of where I might find some larger u-bolts that will fit? I'm sorry if this has been posted before, when I try and research this, all I can find are full block kits for sale with the u-bolts included as opposed to only the u-bolts.

Any information is appreciated!
​​​​​​ Anybody around you make them? Or you could order them for a lift kit

Old 10-14-2020, 02:50 PM
WalkerTexas

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
​​​​​​ Anybody around you make them? Or you could order them for a lift kit
I'm sorry I should've worded my question better. What I meant to ask was if anyone here knew where I could find the larger sized u-bolts (like a manufacturer or known shop that might sell them)? I'm not too sure what size I need or where to find them without ordering a whole rear end lift block kit.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

You installed front leveling kit, and are now adding rear blocks as well? Did the leveling kit put the front end higher than the rear? Adding additional blocks in the rear didn't address that?? The rear blocks didn't come with u-bolts??

There should already be 3" blocks on the rear axle...... How much lift did you put on the front? I am just a bit confused here.......

Old 10-15-2020, 01:06 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe i misunderstood your original statement but are you stacking blocks? big no no there, most auto parts stores should be able to order you something, otherwise measure em up and an truck shop should be able to customer bend you a set, but again if your stacking blocks id step back and order a lift kit that comes with ubolts

Old 10-15-2020, 07:38 PM
WalkerTexas

Yeah I got the 2.5 inch level kit and installed it, but I may have read the wrong information in regards to how the truck sat stock, because it sat higher in the front after the level. From what I understood the front end sat 2.5 inches lower than the rear. I measured from the tops of the wheel wells to the ground in order to figure out which lift blocks I needed to install (mistake). I installed .5 inch lift blocks in the rear to compensate, but after the install, it's still not as high as the front lol. The .5 inch blocks I installed I got from Summit Racing (also a mistake) and did not come with new u-bolts. Again sorry for the confusion I'm now seeing that I should've included all this in my first post.

After finding out that measuring from the tops of the wheel wells down was a mistake (apparently the rear wells sit higher on the fender in the rear than in the front), I remeasured using the metal pieces just behind each wheel to the ground, and added .5 inches from the block already installed. After that calculation, I got 1.25 inches. But to install that size block, I need larger u-bolts than stock. I did not see any blocks on the rear other than the ones I installed. Very weird.

Again I appreciate any information!

Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 PM
WalkerTexas

Oh no not at all! I know the dangers of that. I'll give that a try! Thank you for the info much appreciated!

Old 10-15-2020, 07:42 PM
WalkerTexas

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You installed front leveling kit, and are now adding rear blocks as well? Did the leveling kit put the front end higher than the rear? Adding additional blocks in the rear didn't address that?? The rear blocks didn't come with u-bolts??

There should already be 3" blocks on the rear axle...... How much lift did you put on the front? I am just a bit confused here.......
I'm sorry still getting used to this, forgot to quote you instead of just replying

Old 10-15-2020, 07:43 PM
WalkerTexas

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Maybe i misunderstood your original statement but are you stacking blocks? big no no there, most auto parts stores should be able to order you something, otherwise measure em up and an truck shop should be able to customer bend you a set, but again if your stacking blocks id step back and order a lift kit that comes with ubolts
Sorry still getting used to this, forgot to quote you. Thank you for the info its much appreciated!

Old 10-15-2020, 09:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

I suspect what has actually happened is your rear springs have settled over time.... after all, it's been a while since the truck was new.

Stacking blocks in the rear seems to be a thing of late with lift companies...... So far as I am concerned, even the stock blocks on the rear axle was a stupid idea. Here we have a vehicle that is already really light in the rear more of than not, and the manufacturer gives the axle a nice lever to twist the spring with? How is that in any way a 'good idea'??? I'll never know..... (probably save them a few bucks as opposed to some other design..... but, I have a hard time believing that too.....)

If you gotta do something in the back anyway, why not do a shackle flip, and eliminate ALL the blocks?

Quick Reply: U-Bolts for Larger Rear Lift Blocks?