2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

track bar ... upgrade to 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 08:32 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
So you're saying about 10 years and how many miles on luke's link product? Looks like you're only $18 away from replacing the internals on Luke's link.
https://lukeslink.com/products/inter...for-lukes-link
Not sure, something like 150k miles. But I'm going to update to a straight trackbar, won't be rebuilding the Luke's Link.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:06 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Yeah, I think the 3rd gen "style" conversion bolt-on seems like the way to go.... I could go grab a used 3rd gen track bar today, only no confirmation that I can use it successfully. Might have to wait until the company responds to my email (or answers their phone). I don't want to go through the pain of crawling under a jyard truck and busting my knuckles removing an original 3rd gen bar if I can't use it I'm sure I could unload it, just won't get my time, and blood, back. I pulled a steering box a couple weeks back, and cracked my head on the frame - no tough job goes w/o blood.

Thanks for the help. Maybe someone will come forward with experience on using a oem trackbar with that conversion bracket...

Old 08-18-2018, 12:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

It ain't a real job until you bleed.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:09 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

OSHA would frown on my frequent blood sacrifices... I only have a few long lasting scars though.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Technically, OSHA would want you to immediately go to the hospital, and the area where you were bleeding would have to be decontaminated.... Then they would happily send you the bill....

Old 08-20-2018, 03:09 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

After todays experience, I'd say go with the 3rd gen conversion. I replaced that broken bar with the stock Luke's Linked on saturday, but since the joint was fubar I needed something better. Yesterday I made a frame bracket, and today made my own 3rd genish conversion. Grinded off the original bracket from the frame, and after some measuring I welded my own bracket to a frame. I had previously already modified the axle end mount for the trackbar (it's 2,5" above the stock location), and used rear trackbar from Mercedes G-Wagen. And damn, that truck haven't had so consistent steering for the past 13 years I've had it! It went straight on a paved road, wasn't all over the lane, didn't need constant correction from the steering wheel. And on a washboard dirt road, it haven't ever been so smooth! Biggest potholes did hit the steering wheel, other than that, zero jerking on steering wheel. Amazing difference!

Old 08-20-2018, 03:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
After todays experience, I'd say go with the 3rd gen conversion. I replaced that broken bar with the stock Luke's Linked on saturday, but since the joint was fubar I needed something better. Yesterday I made a frame bracket, and today made my own 3rd genish conversion. Grinded off the original bracket from the frame, and after some measuring I welded my own bracket to a frame. I had previously already modified the axle end mount for the trackbar (it's 2,5" above the stock location), and used rear trackbar from Mercedes G-Wagen. And damn, that truck haven't had so consistent steering for the past 13 years I've had it! It went straight on a paved road, wasn't all over the lane, didn't need constant correction from the steering wheel. And on a washboard dirt road, it haven't ever been so smooth! Biggest potholes did hit the steering wheel, other than that, zero jerking on steering wheel. Amazing difference!
Got any pics/measurements for your homemade bracket?

Old 08-20-2018, 03:40 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Got any pics/measurements for your homemade bracket?
Not yet, but I can get some tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Not yet, but I can get some tomorrow.
Please do! As I'm interested in doing this but don't want to spend $150+ on just a bracket

Old 08-20-2018, 11:55 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Found my left bottom shock bolt loose by multiple turns, that removed the clank. I had to scold myself for not tightening that bolt

Tried to call Solid Steel Industries, no answer again. And no reply to to the email I left them last week. I find that concerning, can't get to them if I have a problem. I did talk to one of their resellers, Pure Diesel Power. They put a tech on the line after a bit, and I was able to ask alot of questions.. including "am I going to have to modify the bracket to get it to fit". He said I might, the bracket would be correct, but the frames are old and rusty... could be bent.

I tried to contact Synergy Manufacturing. They put me in a queue for the tech and he emailed me... I just emailed my questions out to him.

I suppose I could make my own, I have a MIG and a TIG, and a plasma cutter... but I don't really have the time to be making my own...

Quick Reply: track bar ... upgrade to 3rd gen?