2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Over/underadjusted steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Geez Louise, change your diaper. Back before you even dreamed of owning one of these trucks, there were threads on steering gears everyday, and the actual consensus was/is, including from reputable rebuilders, is that the adjustment is not to take slop out of the box. It is to set the preload at the rebuild stage or manufacturing stage. It should never be done after the box has worn out. In fact, Redhead puts a lock on it and WILL NOT ALLOW RETURNS if the end user removes the lock to adjust it. Get off my back if you didn't want advice.
Hhhmmm..... I am not finding anything that agrees with this statement. There are NUMEROUS sites/threads that detail exactly how to do it though. Of course, they also state that if you get your over-center adjustment correct, and the box is still sloppy, replace the box. I have done this particular trick on more steering boxes than I really care to count, and in 90% of cases, it dramatically improved the steering. For the others, only solution was a new box.

Can you post a link to a reputable source that says otherwise? I would be interested to read it.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Liddlez
Whatever you say ma’am.
What are you, twelve??

Old 11-06-2020, 10:58 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Hhhmmm..... I am not finding anything that agrees with this statement. There are NUMEROUS sites/threads that detail exactly how to do it though. Of course, they also state that if you get your over-center adjustment correct, and the box is still sloppy, replace the box. I have done this particular trick on more steering boxes than I really care to count, and in 90% of cases, it dramatically improved the steering. For the others, only solution was a new box.

Can you post a link to a reputable source that says otherwise? I would be interested to read it.
https://redheadsteeringgears.com/contact/
Then I must be in the 10% percent because that's what they told me, even with two trips to their actual shop where I pulled in for them to work on it. They finally sent a second one and I made sure to not/never adjust the screw. It's probably because most people don't know how to properly do it and actually end up ruining the box instead. I'm sure you have the right touch.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
https://redheadsteeringgears.com/contact/
Then I must be in the 10% percent because that's what they told me, even with two trips to their actual shop where I pulled in for them to work on it. They finally sent a second one and I made sure to not/never adjust the screw. It's probably because most people don't know how to properly do it and actually end up ruining the box instead. I'm sure you have the right touch.
Yeah, it IS easy to screw it up, and over-tighten it..... that makes driving in a straight line REALLY challenging, if not impossible...... Since they do a pretty thorough rebuild, I would like to think they lock those down so that folks DON'T screw up their new steering box. All that adjuster does is change preload between the pitman shaft, and the cylinder that moves it. Those DO wear over time, so, I really don't see the harm in the adjustment. (unless you screw it up....)

Old 11-06-2020, 12:17 PM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, it IS easy to screw it up, and over-tighten it..... that makes driving in a straight line REALLY challenging, if not impossible...... Since they do a pretty thorough rebuild, I would like to think they lock those down so that folks DON'T screw up their new steering box. All that adjuster does is change preload between the pitman shaft, and the cylinder that moves it. Those DO wear over time, so, I really don't see the harm in the adjustment. (unless you screw it up....)
Your knowledge is greatly appreciated! 😄

Quick Reply: Over/underadjusted steering box?