2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is this black wire on the positive terminal for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 06:18 PM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What is this black wire on the positive terminal for?

The wire seems to go to the grey plug below it. I have no idea what it does. Thank you all!

Old 11-20-2020, 07:34 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Hazard flashers.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:05 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

A previous owner ran it to power something. I usually try to use either red or yellow wires for power supply. I'd say it's for a relay that is switch operated since it's on the positive terminal. Your cables are both with replacement connectors. You're going to have electrical problems down the road from corrosion. Take them both apart and clean them good and put some dielectric grease on the wires. Clean the battery terminals and grease them too. I've run the clamp style terminal connectors before, often for years. I generally will just replace the cables with good ones as the other end is often not much better.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:34 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Hazard flashers.
Thank you!

Old 11-20-2020, 08:38 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
A previous owner ran it to power something. I usually try to use either red or yellow wires for power supply. I'd say it's for a relay that is switch operated since it's on the positive terminal. Your cables are both with replacement connectors. You're going to have electrical problems down the road from corrosion. Take them both apart and clean them good and put some dielectric grease on the wires. Clean the battery terminals and grease them too. I've run the clamp style terminal connectors before, often for years. I generally will just replace the cables with good ones as the other end is often not much better.
I am the original owner. I replaced the terminals as the old ones were terribly chewed up. I’d like to replace them with OEM wires. I detail her engine bay every two weeks along with her wash, so those posts, and terminals are clear.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:24 PM
DerTruck
All Star

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I know it's weird but the wiring diagram shows a black 20g wire for the hazards going to the positive terminal !

Old 11-20-2020, 10:43 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

I know it's weird but the wiring diagram shows a black 20g wire for the hazards going to the positive terminal !
That’s bizarre! Can you tell me the chapter/number of it? I’ve searched and couldn’t find.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:10 PM
DerTruck
All Star

Originally Posted by Liddlez
That’s bizarre! Can you tell me the chapter/number of it? I’ve searched and couldn’t find.
8W-11-18 in the 1996 FSM.

Old 11-21-2020, 01:33 AM
Liddlez
Veteran

8W-11-18 in the 1996 FSM.
Perfect, thank you so much!

Quick Reply: What is this black wire on the positive terminal for?