2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

general question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 03:05 AM
davisjd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general question

was wondering if any way possible i could hook my laptop to my truck's ecu via the obd connection if so where can i get the connectors
and programs for laptop also if that is possible then could a person theoretically hack into their program (same as a hypertech)and make some mods just trying to get the hang of all this new technology stuff a little bit more difficult than changing a cam or carb.

Old 12-24-2005, 04:22 AM
SLT360
Default RE: general question

With enough money im sure it can be done, but why?......i would just buy the hypertec or something similiar. We dont have rice rockets so fully programable ECU's are going to be hard to come by. Im not sure what all the hypertech does so it may be fully programable but i doubt it. If your just looking to monitor the engine that may be a little easyier to do with a adapter and a program but you wont be able to change the ECU's settings

Old 12-24-2005, 04:43 AM
davisjd

im not really to worried bout altering the ecu but i have searched snap-on,s catalog for something that i can connect my laptop up with obd2 and have had no luck on finding anything may be even cheaper to just to get a code reader from the zone

Old 12-24-2005, 12:49 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional

obddiaganostics . com has what you are looking. I bought one of there systems for $100 and it works great program is user friendly. If you will do some searching on google there are about 5 other companies that also makes these. One of the companies even has a dyno built into the program (like the $800 hyperpac) but I have not been able to find one to program the ecu. You can buy a piggy back ecu controller for a little more than a hypertec so you can alter settings yourself with your laptop. I beleive rm_indy has the smt6 piggyback setup so you could probubly pm him and ask him about it.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:18 AM
Funny Man
Old 12-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Funny Man

Also try this site http://www.scantool.net/

Old 12-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Funny Man

I find these tools being all scan tools is there something that will actually let me program my car's computer with my laptop with my exact specifications I want, kinda like a jetchip or a hyperprogrammer, etc... ???

Quick Reply: general question