2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My V10 performance top end "swap"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 11:00 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't quit watching it.

The following users liked this post:
Achilles soul (12-11-2023)
Old 01-28-2021, 02:12 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds angry. Perfect! I'd like to make that my ringtone.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:10 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I love how angry it sounds. Having the exhaust done next week. We decided on a dual 2.5" in single 3.5" out. It doesn't have cats so he may put resonators or glass packs in if its to noisy. I don't want it to drone or be obnoxious, had systems like that before.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:19 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Alright, I have run into a snag with the v10 and tuning. I have an underlying issue that is preventing us from getting the tuning dialed in. Here is a video of the problem, unknown to me the tuner pulled a sneaky one (but smart) and sent me a factory tune to see if it was an issue with the tune or an issue with the truck, its a truck issue. Basically I am getting hesitation and popping on acceleration only under certain conditions just off idle. 1200rpm and above it runs good. The condition most likely to do this is coming to a stop and taking off shortly after at anything above 1/8 throttle basically. I am going to disconnect the O2 sensors to check them. It has new plugs and wires. Triple checked the wire routing, also no CEL.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:59 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Have anything to do with that radio noise suppression capacitor?

My Ford Excursion V10 has 2 of them.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:19 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

2bit - from what I can tell the dodge v10 was never equipped with that, someone added it. Doesn't help mine is a Canadian import truck. They were a little different in some respects. Example I have daytime running lamps on mine, things like that. I am going to disconnect the O2 sensors and see if it helps. I wouldn't be surprised if the right bank O2 is bad. Although they only have 5k miles on them, that bank ate ~1 gallon of coolant in the last 1000 miles.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:55 AM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My truck will do that when the iac is going bad. Not every time, but enough to annoy the crap out of me. It doesn't set a CEL just a stumble coming off idle. Last time I changed it I picked up oem Mopar tps and iac senors on eBay and it's been okay since.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:30 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

TPS can be checked for smooth operation with an analog multimeter. Set a couple pins in the harness, with the key on/engine off watch the voltage/needle sweep for smooth transition.
V-10 heads seem to have poor oil drainback in my experience. They sludge up in service around the springs. The guides wear like iron, stay good and tight. If, due to age or maintenance, the stems become varnished, the valves stick a bit. Once the mass of air gets moving at RPM in that big intake plenum, the problem hides itself. At transition however, can have a bit of random excessive overlap.
Also, the wiring right at the injectors tends to be crap with age. You can have injectors with intermittent grounds firing randomly. Does not sound like your problem though.
@Ugly1, smart observation on the capacitor. Twisted low voltage sensor wire pairs serve a similar purpose, you'll find them in a V-10 harness.
Adukart, Hughes Engines will rework your stock throttle body for they say, about 1200cfm. Mine is the one pictured on their website, don't know how the cost compares to a bombass carbon fiber version.

Last edited by 69_XS29L; 02-20-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:05 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

69-XS29L - I have the carbon fiber one on there. First one ever, its the one on utasome performance's website. The heads are fresh. Just had them off and had the same manley valve put in you were talking about in the other thread along with guides, mopar performance springs, and had them decked .020". I did a mild port and polish job on everything as well. I have photos and videos. Just need the time to edit to a single build video.

Update, disconnected the O2 sensors drove it and no hesitation taking off. However it died with prolonged braking, stopping from 20mph or greater. So my friend suggest it had a vacuum leak. So we took it to where my friend works and smoke tested it. It leaked everywhere around the IAC valve. The valve base, screws. Going to get a new one and see what happens. Still no CEL even when the O2's were disconnected. I have to wonder if the PCM is a fancy cover over a stone tablet in these things lol.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

That throttle body is 3D printed? Really pretty, in fact awesome, those guys look busy and competent. Did the throttle body need rework to seal the IAC?
I unshrouded the intake a tiny bit, blended the bowls, lowered and radiused the exhaust short turn, narrowed and smoothed the valve guide boss, matched the intake gaskets, radiused the exhaust valves. Smoothed the exhaust side, not much on the intake, gasket matched, knocked off the casting flash. I don't have access to flow equipment, so nothing crazy at all. The machinists 3angle steep cut opened the ports up a bit for sure.
If you look at a stock set of heads, it looks to me like the intake side could actually be made a bit smaller. The flow lays out or gets turbulent on the floor and stays organized on the high side. Look at the way the PVC sediment deposits itself, clean on top, dirty on bottom. A person with a flow bench could likely raise the floor a bit, smooth things out. Less turbulence, smaller cross section, more velocity. The intake port is huge and straight, polishing it will likely yield next to nothing, especially with the stock 10 legged spider of a lower intake in front of it.
The exhaust side is mathematically over my head, tuned pressure waves, reversions, velocities, but it looks like a small extension at the exhaust port might help. Every header or manifold suffers from the same thing, a hard turn out of the cylinder then another entering the exhaust system. I have a cobbled together true dual exhaust exiting in front of the wheels, a 2.5inch 2in/2out MagnaFlow is my crossover. The CherryBomb 9481 I used first was wicked loud.
My only other thought for my throttle body would be a radiused airhorn like K&N used to make for 4bbl carbs and a different cold air/filtration setup. I had to cut away part of the filter base to take advantage of all the increased opening after Hughes was done with it. I also mocked up a sheetmetal pan to keep engine oil off of the bottom of the intake, no installation scheme yet.
If your PCM is a stone tablet, my OBDI is wooden, before steel tools. There is a man named Robert on one of the other forums, talked to few years back, also with a '95, who mapped out his cam timing and built a MegaSquirt setup for his.

Quick Reply: My V10 performance top end "swap"