2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 5.9 needs new engine. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 09:53 PM
brandall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 1500 5.9 needs new engine. Ideas?

Hello all,
I have a 2001 Ram 1500 PU (160k mi) and the engine totally gave up the ghost --- sounds like an ice cold Cat D9 when you try to star it. The few times I tried to start it, it runs for all of 10 seconds before it dies. Try starting again and nothing happens. I'm pretty sure the starter can't turn it over due to internal mechanical issues (yes, the batter and starter are fine). Sooooo....
I am about 100% certain that I need to rebuild or replace the engine. Not a happy thought at all. I think the best move would be to replace the engine with a sub 100K used 5.9. I found a few with 90K miles and 5 year/50K warranty -- and FREE SHIPPING/no core required--- for $1100. But this got me ta thinkin....

The 5.9 was a work horse -- back in the day -- but if I am going to replace the engine, is there a better engine that will slip in as a "turn key" replacement? , Is there a better, more powerful, engine that will mate to my tranny/transfer case? In other words, if I yank this thing is there a better engine that will marry to my drive train??? there, I just said the same thing in three different ways (my English Composition professor would kill me!).

I might not bother but the truck is in 90% condition. Seems like a criminal act to part it out or sell it for $1500.

I will likely do the work myself (though, I am not a "real" mechanic) so I really want to avoid extreme modifications in accommodating a new engine.

What would you do in this situation???

I appreciate your time and whatever wisdom you might be able to pass on.

Thanks!
Brett

Old 01-06-2021, 10:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You can put anything you want in there, just depends on how much you wanna spend, and how much work you are willing to do, and how good your fabrication skills are. Dropping another 5.9 in there is going to be quickest/easiest, according to theory, the hemi will kinda/sorta bolt up to the existing trans, but, getting the engine to run properly, and your gauges to work represent some pretty significant obstacles.

Something else to think about is, if you do the work yourself, chances are good that 5/50 warranty simply won't apply. Most of the remans want a 'licensed shop' to install their motors, and maintain the warranty. If you install it, they *might* honor the warranty, but, I wouldn't hold my breath on that....

Depending on where you are, you should be able to find a good used 5.9 motor for under a grand...... maybe do some maintenance to it before installation....

Pretty much depends on how much you wanna spend, and how much work you wanna do.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

The few times I tried to start it, it runs for all of 10 seconds before it dies. Try starting again and nothing happens.
If the battery and starter are good it would at least engage the starter not nothing. You or someone else needs to take a closer look at it. And 160K is nothing IF it was kept maintained.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:50 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

I'd check the bone yards for one that's wrecked. Get a decent engine with under 100K and replace the timing chain, oil pump with a high volume (NOT a high pressure) unit and if any of the expansion plugs seem soft, all of them. Get a 5.9 around the same vintge as there was a change in the flywheel around there sometime, and pop it in. You can redo the engine on a stand so all you do is pull the old one and drop the new one in. Like "HeyYou" said, warranty is for when a regular shop puts it in. While you have the engine out, now would be a good time to replace the engine mounts and clean the engine bay up. One last thing, replace the front seal on the transmission while you have the engine out. Being wiggled around can make them leak and it's several hours of aggravation for a $20-30 part.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 01-08-2021 at 05:50 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 01-08-2021, 02:53 PM
horace
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I sold cars we had a 318 Ply which developed a knock. Mechanic sprayed the belts no knock. Alternators seizing up can stop a car in its tracks. Salvage yards are good places to find needed equip, typically it seems trans are more likely to die than our MOPAR engines

Last edited by horace; 01-08-2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: new idea
Old 01-09-2021, 06:55 AM
Thomas bridges
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by horace
When I sold cars we had a 318 Ply which developed a knock. Mechanic sprayed the belts no knock. Alternators seizing up can stop a car in its tracks. Salvage yards are good places to find needed equip, typically it seems trans are more likely to die than our MOPAR engines
Thats a no bull statement if f i ever seen one.... I have had not 1 issue motor wise but I can tell u im pretty tired of tranny issues for sure

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 5.9 needs new engine. Ideas?