2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crack in frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 07:06 PM
Rlynnday
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crack in frame

Hey guys and gals. I've got a 2001 Dodge Ram 3.9L with a crack in the frame under the passenger side, just about directly below the gap between the bed and cab.
No idea how long it's been there that I've been driving on it - just found out when I went to have tires changed today.
Wondering if it can be fixed, should be fixed, about how much a fix would cost if so, and how reasonable it is that I could continue driving it locally for a brief time?

Old 01-19-2021, 07:37 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Frame cracks are something that should be fixed. In this area, there are several welders that enjoy repairing rusted/cracked frames on vehicles. I recently had a rusted area in my frame just behind the passenger side control arm repaired. The welder came to my home and did the repair in my driveway.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:46 PM
Rlynnday
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much! I figured either it needed fixed or scrapped, and I'd rather fixed - but the tire shop today told me no one would likely want to do it because of liability. Also, I live in rural KS, so I don't have access to as many people as in a larger city, or as many skilled professionals. But I will certainly put out word. How much did it cost for your repair?

Old 01-28-2021, 09:48 PM
1SaltyGreenBean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you cannot weld, find some to weld up the crack and then weld in two plates on the outside and inside of the frame at least the same size thickness of the frame itself. Keep on getting up. I've actually done this on a smaller truck and just bolted the two plates to the frame. Around here maybe $200 to $300.

Quick Reply: Crack in frame