2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 3500 Solid Axle Swap SAS

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 01:55 AM
Tucsontechie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Just an FYI/FWIW the cad is easy to delete if you don't want it. Pull the actuator off pop the snap ring off slide the plunger reinstall the snap ring on the other side and install, done permanently locked in, course your 4wd light will always be on unless you swap to a tcase mounted switch, not sure how involved that is or if the 241 ever used one/using one from a 271, i forget what my 02 used, but it was a non CAD axle so i assume there was a tcase mounted 4wd switch
Thank you for the info. For now I'm planning to keep the CAD but put manual cable on it since A) My truck was never equipped for the vacuum actuation and B) where I live plastic parts don't last long and it's VERY likely all those plastic donor parts are already broken. I plan to eventually swap to locking hubs but that's down the road awhile.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:12 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucsontechie
Sounds like we are in the same boat location wise. Oh well I'm familiar with the idea of the process and understand the importance of the factory staggered welds on the frame boxing. I may just add a couple fish plates when I'm done, make extra sure it never comes apart again.
The only reason they tell you to cut the frame is certain places is because it's straight and there are holes to measure from. They do recommend putting plates on the inside if it's in the boxed section and drill holes to weld in.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:24 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucsontechie
Thank you for the info. For now I'm planning to keep the CAD but put manual cable on it since A) My truck was never equipped for the vacuum actuation and B) where I live plastic parts don't last long and it's VERY likely all those plastic donor parts are already broken. I plan to eventually swap to locking hubs but that's down the road awhile.
I've never used the cable kit I've read enough unreliability posts about it, why spend money on something that might brake when i can lock it permanent never be let down or be out money, I like the idea of lockout hubs i researched the ford swap pretty indepth multiple times but being i had an 01 CAD an 02 non CAD at the time it was more involved then just the pre-00 axles knuckle swap so i gave it up. Not sure the mileage savings you gain in the end. I dropped the 300 bucks in my driveshafts to have them rebuilt and said let em spin, I've yet to throw a shaft on one, I farm and drive 30 miles to my work, I don't run over the road lol

When I had my 96 crew cab truck that was a 2wd i wanted to 4wd it bad, looked at your route, even had a donor frame but looking at the (in my opinion) poor quality frame extension the conversion company did then thinking about doing that to the front really scared me, researched using an OBS (95) chevy frame, but just enough specialty work there too to get everything right, when the trans went out of it just decided, it was a cool ride but i want a 4wd thats just gonna work and sold it

Last edited by dodgetruck2; 02-12-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Tucsontechie
Amateur

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
I've never used the cable kit I've read enough unreliability posts about it, why spend money on something that might brake when i can lock it permanent never be let down or be out money, I like the idea of lockout hubs i researched the ford swap pretty indepth multiple times but being i had an 01 CAD an 02 non CAD at the time it was more involved then just the pre-00 axles knuckle swap so i gave it up. Not sure the mileage savings you gain in the end. I dropped the 300 bucks in my driveshafts to have them rebuilt and said let em spin, I've yet to throw a shaft on one, I farm and drive 30 miles to my work, I don't run over the road lol

When I had my 96 crew cab truck that was a 2wd i wanted to 4wd it bad, looked at your route, even had a donor frame but looking at the (in my opinion) poor quality frame extension the conversion company did then thinking about doing that to the front really scared me, researched using an OBS (95) chevy frame, but just enough specialty work there too to get everything right, when the trans went out of it just decided, it was a cool ride but i want a 4wd thats just gonna work and sold it
The only reasons I'm considering the cable for now is once this is back on the road it will be my main transportation vehicle again and my buddy/roommate has the cable and once he adjusted it properly, he never had a problem.
This truck having 4wd is more of a just in case, as where we live soft sand can be a big issue, especially having the cummins up front. My actually wheeler is a different rig and will get much better upgrade options. For the dually it's mostly just to make sure I don't get egg on my face turning around somewhere I shouldn't. 😂
I also plan to keep my gear vendor on the back of the setup for increased mileage savings.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

In all reality, the vacuum system IS pretty reliable..... Now, given our trucks age, and the likelihood that most folks don't do anything with the cad until it breaks..... yeah, ya see a lotta folks having issues with it. On mine, I just needed to blow out the lines, as dirt/moisture accumulates in the lines, and when it gets cold, it freezes.... so, plugged line. Pull the lines apart, blow 'em out, and it works like brand new again.

On the other hand... I don't think the cad really saves that much in gas. I have seen reports of getting a whole 1 mpg better.... Of course, on my truck, that's a ten percent improvement.

The following users liked this post:
Tucsontechie (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 08:13 PM
Tucsontechie
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In all reality, the vacuum system IS pretty reliable..... Now, given our trucks age, and the likelihood that most folks don't do anything with the cad until it breaks..... yeah, ya see a lotta folks having issues with it. On mine, I just needed to blow out the lines, as dirt/moisture accumulates in the lines, and when it gets cold, it freezes.... so, plugged line. Pull the lines apart, blow 'em out, and it works like brand new again.

On the other hand... I don't think the cad really saves that much in gas. I have seen reports of getting a whole 1 mpg better.... Of course, on my truck, that's a ten percent improvement.
​​​​​​WE will see where we are financially once I get done with the other swaps. Once the dust settles, if I'm still married, we will revisit ford hubs. Lol

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 3500 Solid Axle Swap SAS