2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Two quick questions (headlights and HVAC temp control)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 05:21 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two quick questions (headlights and HVAC temp control)

Two quick questions related to my 96 Ram 1500 4x4:

1. My headlight switch isn't working anymore. Where are you finding the best replacements? I don't think I need a wiring harness to go with it (haven't pulled the switch yet). I've seen prices from $36 up to almost $100.

2. While I have the dash pulled, I want to replace the heater/AC temp control switch/unit on the dash (it uses a rotary ****). I'm not looking for a **** itself (I know they break - I've got spares); I'm looking for what the **** is connected to that actually adjusts the temperature. What is that part called? I can't seem to find it on Rock Auto or from LMC.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Heat controls are all one piece. No user serviceable parts inside. No idea if they are available 'new', but, used should be pretty easy to find. Just make sure it has all the buttons yours does. (heated mirrors, and such.) Temp door on yours is cable operated. I have seen the linkage it hooks to on the heater box break, and it stops working....

You can probably go with the cheap headlight switch, IF you also get the heavy duty harness from LMC truck. (or, make your own....) Don't need to pull the dash for the headlight switch. Just the bezel, and maybe the cluster.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:54 PM
Thomas bridges
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by armynurse
Two quick questions related to my 96 Ram 1500 4x4:

1. My headlight switch isn't working anymore. Where are you finding the best replacements? I don't think I need a wiring harness to go with it (haven't pulled the switch yet). I've seen prices from $36 up to almost $100.

2. While I have the dash pulled, I want to replace the heater/AC temp control switch/unit on the dash (it uses a rotary ****). I'm not looking for a **** itself (I know they break - I've got spares); I'm looking for what the **** is connected to that actually adjusts the temperature. What is that part called? I can't seem to find it on Rock Auto or from LMC.

Thanks.
I sent you a message. I recently just parted out a 96 1500 I think I have just what you need

Old 02-20-2021, 11:00 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the headlight switch arrived today from Rock Auto (that was quick). Swapped it out with no issues. Headlights work every time I pull the switch now - I hope the switch was the issue.

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS DS740 (rockauto.com)

The switch also came with a replacement wiring harness for the headlight switch. The contacts looked good on the old one, so I didn't swap that out (would involve a lot of wire cutting and splicing).

It doesn't sound like the temperature control unit thingy is a common replaceable item. Since mine is still working, I'm not going to mess with it.

Thanks again everyone. My truck turns 25 years old this year; I hope to keep it another 25 years.

Last edited by armynurse; 02-20-2021 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Two quick questions (headlights and HVAC temp control)