2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel line issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:30 AM
Bossgobbler@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel line issue...

About two weeks ago during our arctic blast my fuel line snapped off while driving home. It was the line from the filter to the engine. It was metal the entire length which might be why it broke. Anyway the local salvage had one with rubber line in between the connections. I picked up new rubber line and replaced the old, installed. Made sure little gaskets were there etc. Anyway, this morning It started then died. I had to restart as if I had replaced it and the line is empty. I suspect that air is getting in somehow. Should I pull the line and replace the gaskets, clean off everything, and replace the clamp style fasteners with the screw type on the line? Or could it be something else. Drove fine to work this morning (25 miles). Talk to me like a 5 yo... Thank you for reading!

Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

What are you driving??

Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 AM
Bossgobbler@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1998 cummins 24v, 60,000 mi.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Keep in mind, everything I know about diesels is written on the inside of my left eyelid.

If you just cycle the key, do you hear the lift pump run? If the pump was drawing air somewhere, it would have to be on the suction side, but, that's in the tank. I would more wonder if there wasn't a check valve somewhere that failed, and is allowing fuel to drain back into the tank.

Quick Reply: Fuel line issue...