2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alternator Regulator "Delete"? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:26 PM
AlleyCrawler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alternator Regulator "Delete"? Any ideas?

Currently in the final phases of replacing an LA 318 with a Magnum 360. It's a bare bones strictly off roading vehicle. One of the last hurdles Im looking at it figuring how to wire up a new magnum alternator to simply charge the battery while its driving. Either all the time or switched on/off.

Anyone have an idea how I can accomplish this? I understand that the magnums regulator may be directly controlled from the PCM but the less electronics I have in this vehicle the better. Essentially its a battery, a fuel pump, a starter, a distributor, and an alternator and thats the extent of electronics in this truck. Its never going to be ran for more than 5-10 minutes at a time as well. I've been looking at the service manuals for these trucks but I cant seem to find anything that would explain how to bypass the system except for in the 1996 Ram manual 8C-6 it shows them grounding out the negative field control terminal to try a test. If it was as simple as running a wire to a switch to ground id be laughing. Fire up the truck, flick on the charging circuit, run it for the 5 minutes i need it, and then shut it off.

Any ideas for this obscure issue?

Old 03-19-2021, 08:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

You can add an external vintage regulator. A quick Google search will bring up how to do it

Old 03-19-2021, 09:56 PM
AlleyCrawler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks bud, I guess it comes down to knowing what to google. I was looking to delete but the answer was the external! And it uses parts I already have kicking around too.

Quick Reply: Alternator Regulator "Delete"? Any ideas?