2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

9.25 spider gears the easy way

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:41 AM
SATIN5.9RAM
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 9.25 spider gears the easy way

“End all be all” Chrysler 9.25 Rear end spider gear install.
This one should make google.
So after too much time and just enough thinking I figured a way to install my spider gears “the easy way” well... maybe not. But it worked swell.
I’ll start by saying my brake holder slipped and the axle spun while taking the lug nuts off and the carrier pin was out. Clickity clank clickity clank there goes my spidy gears. Simple axle install gone wrong.
I contemplated taking the carrier out and using Yee ol’ b.a.f washer bolt nut process and was actually almost set up for it. I then looked over at my socket set in deep thought of how the heck else could I do it. In a deep state of thought I grabbed the closest socket to the carrier pin. (16mm) (Canadian eh bud) then I went one up. I put the carrier pin in with no spider gears just separating the axles a wee bit with the c clips in. I then got my mechanic helper and better half with a breaker bar on the outer part of the axle to pry outwards. I did the same on the other side while putting the 17mm socket in between the axles. I took the carrier pin out and voila viola whatever. That’s Italian or something. I’m Canadian. Anyways perfectly set and compressed clutch packs. Oh frik yeah bud!!! Now with a wheel chalked up. One axle free to spin and the truck in gear the spider gears and those little b thrust washers all went home in sync. Happy happy happy.
Hope this message gets to someone in my past situation. I say past because it really feels good knowing that’s in the past.
Big thanks to everyone on the forum that gave me valued advise. Especially that admin guy with the blue dragon pic.
To all,
Keep your nose between the ditches and the bears out your britches.

Yup

Last edited by SATIN5.9RAM; 03-25-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:33 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll bet you're the kinda person, if his buddy said...let's go climb Everest, you'd say...CLIMB?!? Huh, I'll just HALO in n see ya there!

Old 03-28-2021, 12:43 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice one, I just used my impact wrench and the lug nuts come off like that. Curious if there is the side adjuster can be turned inside the axle pumpkin or you have to use the long bar into the axle tube? I just put a posi unit into a 2020 dodge ram and it had the side adjuster that only could be tighten/loosened by sliding the tool inside the axle tube.

I would have installed a posi unit myself and replaced that slipper. You can find them in the bone yard cheap.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:24 PM
SATIN5.9RAM
Amateur

Originally Posted by true blue
I'll bet you're the kinda person, if his buddy said...let's go climb Everest, you'd say...CLIMB?!? Huh, I'll just HALO in n see ya there!
ah fack don’t have a heli but I’d find a way. Probly a 250 enticer n just send it bud!

Old 03-29-2021, 11:28 PM
SATIN5.9RAM
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Nice one, I just used my impact wrench and the lug nuts come off like that. Curious if there is the side adjuster can be turned inside the axle pumpkin or you have to use the long bar into the axle tube? I just put a posi unit into a 2020 dodge ram and it had the side adjuster that only could be tighten/loosened by sliding the tool inside the axle tube.

I would have installed a posi unit myself and replaced that slipper. You can find them in the bone yard cheap.

No doubt. Yeah it did cross my mind. I was almost there hah

Quick Reply: 9.25 spider gears the easy way