2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust manifold bolt- substitute

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 03:51 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Broken or seized exhaust manifold bolts can be quite the pain to remove. With limited space in the engine compartment, I've found that I can sometimes do better by removing the head and working with it on a bench to gain more open access to the offending broken bolt(s). I also blurt out much fewer 4 letter words when I have unfettered access to what I need to work on...

Last edited by AtomicDog; 03-26-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:20 PM
Ramchie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Broken or seized exhaust manifold bolts can be quite the pain to remove. With limited space in the engine compartment, I've found that I can sometimes do better by removing the head and working with it on a bench to gain more open access to the offending broken bolt(s). I also blurt out much fewer 4 letter words when I have unfettered access to what I need to work on...
I thought about it. This is the biggest job I have ever taken on for a vehicle. A water pump job turned into a head gasket job turned into a valve job turned into an exhaust makeover. It's been a journey. I know I shouldn't quit now but I just got everything back together. It runs, albeit very noisily through the manifold.

I should be worried about the manifold not being properly secured because it will heat the area and there is a risk of cold air getting in and cracking something? Just trying to get some more motivation

The clamp is holding. So so Tempted to just cover all the edges of it with high heat jb weld.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:34 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Take the manifold off for better access.....
Thank you. My main issue with access, is that I just can't get the manifold up and out to begin with. Those bolts on the 'swivel' part of the exhaust, where the manifold would disconnect, the bolts and nuts and clips have rusted into one. I need a plasma torch. Just cut the whole exhaust out on that side and start fresh.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:32 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

You can easily separate the exhaust manifold from the exhaust pipe on each side by cutting through the bolts from underneath with a 3" cuttoff wheel on a muffler cutoff tool - something like this tool would cut off those bolts real quick - https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-h...ool-63023.html

Old 03-27-2021, 09:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

If you can get the manifold off you could use two header gaskets. The manifold should be rigid enough to seal.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:42 PM
Ramchie
Professional

I thought about it. Pretty cramped space to use a grinder but very doable. Ideally I would own a plasma cutter...

Old 03-29-2021, 12:44 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
If you can get the manifold off you could use two header gaskets. The manifold should be rigid enough to seal.
I don't quite get what you mean. Use a different gasket and cut it down and just use sealant to secure the manifold?

I figure with the clamp in the back, 2 bolts in front, and the exhaust being somehwat extra secured below it should be fine eough. A little worried about extra heat.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramchie
I don't quite get what you mean. Use a different gasket and cut it down and just use sealant to secure the manifold?

I figure with the clamp in the back, 2 bolts in front, and the exhaust being somehwat extra secured below it should be fine eough. A little worried about extra heat.
no he means use two header gaskets. So you would need 4 total

Old 03-30-2021, 07:45 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
no he means use two header gaskets. So you would need 4 total

Oh I see double up on the gasket. Yeah I need to figure something out. Gonna melt my sparkplug cables with the heat coming out like that

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold bolt- substitute