2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear shock orientation question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 08:43 AM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear shock orientation question

Hey yall it's a happy day and I got a set of bilsteins 5100 for the truck.
so I've seen people do it both ways but which is the right way to install these? Is the boot side supposed to face down or up ? I would think that it would face up but I've seen videos of doing both and one guy said having the boot side facing down is " upside down" . Any insight would be great.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Any markings on the shocks themselves??

I would be tempted to install them in the same orientation as the shocks you are taking off.

Old 03-31-2021, 09:55 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Any markings on the shocks themselves??

I would be tempted to install them in the same orientation as the shocks you are taking off.

the Monroe shocks don't have a boot on them like the bilstein but yes. I think I'm going to have the boot pointed up like how the new fronts are. Just want to do it right once.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The shocks do indeed have an orientation, there are differences between compression, and rebound damping....... If you aren't sure, may wanna call the manufacturer, and ask them which way is correct.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:38 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The shocks do indeed have an orientation, there are differences between compression, and rebound damping....... If you aren't sure, may wanna call the manufacturer, and ask them which way is correct.
Fair enough

Old 03-31-2021, 11:50 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Well compression is compression regardless of the orientation of the shock . What makes a difference though is if the shocks are twin-tube or mono-tube designs. Mono-tube shocks work in any position, twin tubes generally not because gas ends up in the inner compression tube.

Edit: Bilstein 5100 are mono-tube so either orientation works.

Last edited by DerTruck; 03-31-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:58 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Well compression is compression regardless of the orientation of the shock . What makes a difference though is if the shocks are twin-tube or mono-tube designs. Mono-tube shocks work in any position, twin tubes generally not because gas ends up in the inner compression tube.

Edit: Bilstein 5100 are mono-tube so either orientation works.

Thank you for your knowledge sir. I did contact bilstein and they said that it's made for boot facing up so that's what I'll go with . Thanks for input everyone I guess I should of just called them first lol

Old 03-31-2021, 07:33 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
the Monroe shocks don't have a boot on them like the bilstein but yes. I think I'm going to have the boot pointed up like how the new fronts are. Just want to do it right once.

Under the boot is a single rod. On unbooted shocks, this goes to the top. The boot is just there to keep grit and dirt off the upper shaft. Well, it looks better too. Anyway, boot up and the dampers will work best and longest.

Shock absorber is a misnomer. They are actually rebound dampers. The shock is absorbed by the tires and springs. The damper stops those from bouncing.

Quick Reply: Rear shock orientation question