2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough idle i cant figure out

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 07:19 PM
Luke Mitchell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle i cant figure out

I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.2 magnum...so the problem I've been having is that the engine is idling rough and I'm having increased fuel consumption. I've replaced the pcv valve, spark plugs, distributor cap, idle air control, checked all vacuum lines and 02 sensors. I honestly cannot figure out what is going on so if you can give me any help I'd really appreciate appreciate it.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:45 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sound like a vacuum leak potentially. Have you checked your plenum https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Old 03-29-2021, 08:54 PM
Luke Mitchell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
Sound like a vacuum leak potentially. Have you checked your plenum https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html
yes I've checked but the only thing I found was a vacuum line that goes into the plenum just under where the pcv lines goes in was not connected to anything so I don't know what it was or goes to so I just plugged it for now

Old 03-30-2021, 03:13 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Rough idle and increased fuel consumption most often means the engine is running rich. Find a OBD2 reader with live data and see what long term and short term fuel trims are, as well as O2 sensor readings.

Quick Reply: Rough idle i cant figure out